Tuesday, November 12, 2019

It happened. Again.

If there are any followers still following, I know I've lost a few of you since 2013 the first time we decided to move across the country.

Then in 2015, we moved again to Texas.

And last fall, go figure, we found ourselves back in the Midwest. This time in Minnesota. 

It didn't hit me when we landed that perhaps all those years were maybe something to blog about. Truthfully, when we left Illinois it pretty much felt like the people that I shared those adventures with really were happy to see me go. So I took their lead and worked on moving on, too. In fact, I moved a lot -- and not just households.  

Now as I look at the list of followers, two of them have died in that time. 

So here I am, almost 7 years later. It's 7 degrees in November, which the rest of the country seems to be complaining about, but I'm cool with winter. I missed it while we were away. 

Need some catching up? Here's a quick summary. 

-- Mactroll left the Fruit for a start up -- then left that and created his own software.
-- Looseyfur completed a master's degree in library and information science.
-- X-man is now taller than both Mactroll and Looseyfur and is finishing middle school this year. 
-- We've lost all the animals you knew in Illinois, except for Lily, who is 8.5 years old. But we've also gained three delightful boy cats: Leo, Teddy and Danny. 
-- We sold the software company that MacTroll and I ran in Texas to a company in Minneapolis.
-- So here we are in a rural/suburb chilling on 2.5 acres. 

Anyway, if any one is still out there, I'm starting my midwestern adventures again. 

The first thing I'm tackling is making adult friends in the internet age. Like someone to actually go out and do things with. When you move cross country three times in 7 years, the friends you have tend to be all over the place. 

So two weeks ago, I joined Bumble.

No. I'm not dating. 

I'm meeting other women who are looking for a kind and decent person to do stuff with around the Twin Cities on Bumble BFF. 

I have two potentials so far. One who I've met up with to do Trivia Brunch, which was super fun. We're trying a student art show in a couple of weeks, too. I've also been messaging back and forth with the second. And can I say, this whole online dating thing is super interesting. Like -- it's a friends app, and still some women just have glamour shot selfies, their name and their age. 

How the hell am I supposed to know if I want to hang with you off what you look like? I mean, sure, maybe you're cute, but I've met too many people who are just empty voids in my lifetime. 

The other scary part: common themes among 38-52 year old women in the Twin Cities. There are so many -- and I mean a shocking amount -- who list as their interests being "Crystals, essential oils, and natural healing." I was expecting Jesus fans, yogis, drinkers. This was -- unexpected. 

I don't think that I'm constructed to successfully engage a person about any of those interests. I want to DO something, not be sold on something. Seriously, get me out of my house. :-) 

In other news, for all the shit I gave people who fell down the fandom hole of Paleo living/Lululemon/Crossfit shenanigans in 2011... I apologize. I have since joined the Peloton XXL group. I love those people. I love doing all the things I want to do at home, but still getting the support through a Facebook group. Robin Arzon kicks my ass, and I like it that way. 

And no one knows if I have trouble getting out of my clips on my bike. And no one cares if I can't routinely hit 200kj on a 30-minute ride. 

I'm still doing it. 

Which is kind of the theme of this post. I'm still here. I'm still breathing. There's a shit-ton water under the bridge. But I'm in my 40s, and I just don't care about most of the BS any more. 

So, if you're still out there. Send up a flare or something. And Mom and Marybeth -- I miss and love you both. 

No comments: