Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Awareness

Wow, it's been a while since I blogged. So sorry! There has been a lot going on. Most of it is just general life stuff and moving consolidation.

Yesterday, though, I had made a unilateral decision not to talk to X-man about the Boston Marathon bombings until we had found out more. Given his anxiety levels about danger these days, I thought it to be better.

Than, while I'm cleaning up dinner last night, X-man tells me his co-teacher was in Boston watching her father run the marathon. He asked if we could look up his time. I had know idea that his teacher was there. I explained that I didn't know his teacher's maiden name, so it would be hard to find him.

But I guess I had some kind of odd expression on my face. And my social cue clueless kid asked me what was wrong. "Wrong? Why do you think something is wrong?"

"You pushed your eyes together."

Oh. Crap.

So I told him. He was worried, but he felt better when I e-mailed both of his teachers to see if they knew if she was safe. Indeed she was, and so was her HUSBAND, who was running the race. They got back to me by bedtime, so I got to go in and retuck X-man in with the new news. And he went to bed and was okay.

MacTroll looked into moving our blue Mazda RX-8, and it was going to be more than he wanted to pay for a 9-year-old car. So last week, we took both of our cars in and traded them in on a new Toyota Rav-4. We used our Illinois tax refund to make up the rest. And now we're living as a one car house. Since he's not around a lot, it's a pretty easy adjustment.

We also went to Slumberland and got a new queen-sized mattress. We downsized our bed from king to queen last week, and I'm loving it. But the mattress on the bed is kind of gross, old and torn up from prior moves (before I got hip to mattress covers for moving). Anyway, they deliver it on Friday and take away the old mattress. So when we relocate, we'll only have two beds. Our queen and X-man's full. Now I just need to Craigslist X-man's 5-year-old iMac and donate his toddler table. But that will have to wait until next week.

X-man had his school carnival on Friday. He was very particular about the games he played. He won the Book Walk six times, because he loved the short line. And he found the books to be of more substance than the prizes. But if he had to wait in a line longer than 3 minutes, that game didn't get played.

MacTroll and I leave for California on Saturday afternoon. We're going to go look for houses. Of course the four I liked last week have already sold. This is going to be an interesting process...

That reminds me, I need to remind our attorney about getting us purchase Power of Attorneys this week.



No comments: