Friday, April 25, 2008

Childhood Role Models


Yeah, so I have the day off, well kind of. MacTroll is home but since he's on phone calls all afternoon, I have to stay home to take care of the X-man. The only time I get to wander off is when I'm working or when X-man is at school. Otherwise I start to think of the house as a cage after awhile. Sure, it's a very nice cage. But a cage all the same. We kept X-man home today to go have some fun this morning at my friend Heidi's school. But maybe after he gets up, I'll take him out in the 45 mph winds (seriously!).

Anyway, when I was a teenager there was this huge push at school about role models. I think it was about the time that the rap group NWA came out that people (as always) start needlessly wondering about the pop culture icons the younger generation look up to and criticizing them (rather than looking at them critically).

I was always a Princess Leia fan as a little kid. What was not to admire? She was awesome: mouthy, bright and always in the middle of a mess clamoring on about a greater purpose. As a teenager, I read "Postcards from the Edge" and loved it, but it was really "Surrender the Pink" and the main character's dual personality that hit home with me.

Anyway, attached is a speech she gave a while ago honoring George Lucas. It's an embodiment of how Fisher writes and all that I loved about Leia. I also think when Fisher first walks out you see a sense of fear behind Steven Spielberg's eyes. :-P

Star Wars geeks unite. Fly that freak flag. It's all good.

No comments: