Wednesday, April 30, 2008

These Boobs are Made for Walking

My friend Marybeth is doing the Avon 3-Day walk and is raising money for breast cancer research. I did the walk in 2000, and it was really an awesome commitment and undertaking. The most touching part was walking with people who had photos of the people they were walking for on their shirts or hanging on necklaces. 

It's kind of hard to miss thousands of people all of them wearing clothes that say things like, "I miss you, Mommy" or "Breast cancer made me a widow." Or the survivors wearing their loud pink shirts and adding a hugely positive ray of hope on everything around what could otherwise be a very sobering physical challenge. 

The Avon 3-day is 60 miles. 20 miles a day. It's way harder than running a marathon because you have to get up and do it all over again, and then do it again... all while sleeping in a tent and enduring the weather, whatever it may be.

Although I know my most loyal reader has already donated to the DonorChoose.org, I thought I might drum Marybeth up some business from some other readers. She needs some cash to meet her fundraising goal. And if you hurry you can order a t-shirt that says, "These Boobs are Made for Walking," that the team is selling as a fundraising endeavor. 

If you'd like more info on Marybeth, check out her blog, "In lieu of the Zone."

2 comments:

Quigs78 said...

I'm confused! We funded the "Discovering Math" project from Dixmoor, IL that was on your page...now it's not on your page, and our donation didn't show up on your challenge. Apparently we did something wrong...sorry! :(

SunnyD said...

No, you didn't mess up! Donorschoose did.I thought they'd tell me when my friends contributed, so I'd know. When I checked my challenge the other day it just told me that the Discovery Math was fulfilled, but it doesn't tell me if it's someone I know that did it or someone from the general public who found it online.

MY HUGE apologies to Kelly and Neil. My annoying whining guilt trip did not apply to you.

I just wrote them and told them to work on some code for people who set challenges so they can thank their people for helping out too!