Monday, April 28, 2008

Crazy Fears

I hate marionettes, dummies, clowns and mimes.

And this is why I hate marionettes and dummies: Madame. When I was little Madame was on Solid Gold. A program I used to watch as a kid because I loved the dancing and the singing (it fed my love for Olivia Newton-John, Kenny Rogers, Pat Benatar, etc.). I was too young to understand the humor, but her face scared me to death.

As a child, I had a nightmare that she was 20 feet tall and chasing after me with her big scary mouth and crazy cheekbones. But I refused to give up my Solid Gold dancers and kept watching the show. At the end of which, my mom had to stand at the top of the stairs when I came up from the basement every night to make sure Madame's big, long stick arms didn't reach out and grab me, so she could eat me up.

What is more frightening is that it looks like Madame has a new handler... and has been trying to stage a comeback

P.S. The reason I am afraid of clowns is also available on YouTube, but I couldn't bring myself to watch it. The scene in "Poltergeist," when the little boy is almost strangled by his clown marionette. 

Ahh, the problems with being a child of the 1980s.



No comments: