Sunday, December 19, 2010

Organized.

I like to plan.
I like to make lists.
I really like to check things off of my list.
I like when I can find things.
I like when I know where I'm going when.
I like when people ask me to do things and I know what days I'm free.
I <3 organization.
But I'm also happy to do things on the fly.
I am able to be spontaneous.
I can adapt.

But 90 percent of my life is planned. Maybe it's because I have a child. Maybe it's because I have a spouse that travels. Maybe it's because I am an active person who has to have killer time management skills to do all the things I want to do in my life. Maybe I just like writing things down...

I've noticed lately most of the people in my life don't live their lives this way. Mostly, they live inside their homes. Mostly, they have work obligations and family time and then everything else is, "whenever." I've had three people tell me lately that they wish they had it more together like I do. That they're children or spouses will make comments about how I will know something that their parents don't. And I'm flattered that people think I'm a resource and -- on top of things. But I've also had people tell me that they totally get self-righteous vibes from me that are off putting. I used to go out of my way to reassure folks that just because I live my life a certain way, doesn't mean I judge others for living differently. I'm not a judgy person at all.

But what I've found is that it does little to ease their minds, or make them want to be my friend. I like who I am. I like how I live my life. I hope other people enjoy how their lives and have accepted their preferences and foibles, and like me enough to forgive or at least be amused by mine.

That being said, I'm currently plotting running courses through Paris for February trying to avoid streets with too many cars and happy that they close some of the roads so I can run my weekend long run along the Seine on Sunday. I love the Gmap Pedometer.

No comments: