Saturday, November 22, 2008

Dreams

I've slept with a 2 year old in my bed every night this week except two. In the early morning, deep in his REM sleep, my boy thrashes and jibber jabbers. And, like a dog with twitching paws that barks in his sleep, I wonder what he's dreaming about that is so unrelaxing.

This morning, I had an unrelaxing dream.

The dream was that everyone I know had lost their jobs and couldn't take care of their animals. While they were looking for work they asked me to watch them. I have a pack of cats, a dog and a goldfish already. But now I had my mom's dog, my dad's dogs, my neighbor's dog and from what I could tell around 10-14 cats. And I was trying to keep an eye on all of them and my kid. The hard part was that all of my parents were there. And my mother kept not watching that the cats didn't run out in the cold. So at one point, Looseyfur is standing on the ash plate on the grill in front of the sliding glass door shivering. And just as I finish letting her back in and talking to my mother about watching for the cats, I notice my father has decided to light a huge bonfire in the middle of my living room five feet in front of the fire place.

I go screaming into the living room. He and my sister are sitting in chairs across the fire pit from each other. And I jump on top of him pulling at his shirt screaming, "Where will we all live? What have you done?"

I'm beating on his chest and screaming. 

And he says, "It was cold."

Yeah, so I woke up, and I don't really feel like going back to sleep.

1 comment:

Laura Wells said...

Yikes! It's entertaining, in my middle of the day wide-awake state, trying to picture your parents and sister(as they looked in the early 90s) doing these things.