Monday, November 17, 2008

The magic of NASCAR

Last night at 5:30 p.m., I turned on the TV. We only get 5 stations, and I was tired of X-man's cartoons. I flipped through the 3 PBS stations we get, the CBS one and landed on the ABC HD station. It was a NASCAR race, and X-man who was playing with his cars on the floor hooted. "Chick Hicks, Mommy!"

So I left it on and went to start dinner. X-man had fought my prior dinner suggestion, so I whipped up something other than chicken tomato chowder (which sounded good on a warm night). At 6:10 p.m. I called him to dinner. "No, I'm fine." It's his favorite sentence these days when you ask him a question.

At 6:27, the race was over. The winning car drove around the track with the checkered flag. X-man stood up, ran to the couch, climbed onto it, hugged his blanket, rolled away from the TV and fell asleep. Boom -- in five seconds. 

"Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh, crap, do I wake him up or let him sleep?"

I decided if I carried him up to his room and he stayed sleeping than it was meant to be. If he woke up and protested, we'd probably do a normal bedtime.

So, my kid slept from 6:30 until 11 p.m. in his room. Then he came in and threw himself in my bed. I was too tired to return him, so we slept that way. At 4 a.m. he woke up and ran into the hall to turn on the light for a night light, came back and fell back to sleep.

It's 6:50  a.m. and it looks like he might be waking up... But he's just standing next to the bed with his face on the mattress... oh, no, he just took his blankie onto the floor to sleep... 

Crazy toddlers.

Update: I had to wake him at 7:30 a.m. 13 hours of sleep. 

No comments: