Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Resolutions

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. I don't understand why you need to wait until the beginning of a new calendar year to decide to make changes in your life that might make you happier, healthier or just a better all-around person.

But I have a few things that I need to do. So, I'm starting the new things tomorrow. It's a Wednesday. It's not even a special Wednesday.

Several months ago, I did weight watchers. But I had a drawback. I hated going to the meetings because everyone who was there was 30 years older than I am. I couldn't relate on a basic level. Plus, after 7 weeks, I started to equate my quality as a human with the number on the scale. These are bad, bad things for someone with eating issues.

So here's the deal. I'm still not stepping on the scale. But I have no trouble counting. So, I'm going to count calories and post them. And I'll count them before I eat them. My goal is to be between 1500 and 1800 calories a day. Slow and steady. Nothing drastic. I'll post them every day. And if I don't. You need to demand them, even if it turns out I'm over calories for the day... I need to see them. As my old childhood friend, Quiet Musings said, I need some accountability... cause apparently, I'm not providing it for myself. 

So I'm going to lean on my friends. Most of who I see or talk to every day, also read this blog. 

In theory, this kind of life style change should lead to weight loss, but I want to focus on the change and not the number. Stay in the positive rather than let myself sink into the negative.

Make sense?

5 comments:

~rachel~ said...

Good idea, maybe I'll follow your lead eventually!

Do you find it easier to count calories than points?

SunnyD said...

Truthfully, what I found was that I'd eat my points and not use any flex points and after three weeks, I'd stop losing weight. And they'd tell me I'd plateau, but what person who weighs over 200 lbs should plateau if they're supposedly eating less and exercising more after just starting a program?

When I pay attention to calories it makes more sense to me. It seems more exact. I did it the last time I lost 50 lbs. after using weight watchers for 16 weeks. I lost 18 lbs at Weight Watchers in 2 years following the points to the T, but when I switched to counting calories, I lost another 32 in 2 more years. I like slow and steady...

Lindsay said...

I think you're gorgeous, but I completely understand the food struggle, and I'm on board to help you in whatever way you need.

I too had food issues--I was hospitalized with anorexia in college. I'm now over 30 lbs. more than I weighed then, and I'm so much more at peace with my body.

As part of my recovery process I journaled what I was eating in an attempt to realize just how much I was restricting. While calorie counting definitely isn't a good idea in my case, accountability by looking at what I was (or wasn't) putting in my body helped me achieve the mind-body connection that I needed to move forward.

I'm here for ya Loosey--except for the night out ya owe me at which time I will not allow you to chart our beer calories (everyone needs a break occasionally)!

Misc said...

I didn't read this post before today's so never mind.

Anyway, slow and steady wins the race. You're a smart, self-motivated woman. I'm sure you'll do it.

As always, I'm cheering you on.

-B. said...

How is this working out? You are totally right about being accountable. I was really great about sticking with my "diet" when I was pregnant and had GD. I felt accountable to the Peanut. It's funny what you will do for someone else and not bother doing for yourself. But man, as far as diets go, following a diabetic diet works for dropping lbs. I thought all that low-carb/Atkins thing was a crock. If you are ever interested in learning about counting carbs, let me know.