Saturday, December 19, 2009

The vocabulary is growin'

X-man's usual learning curve on words has reached a new level. He now wants to put random words and sounds together to be funny. He's also obsessed with words about pottying.

Yesterday at the library, we ran into one of his friends from school. Turtle E was lying down on the puppet theater at the Champaign Public Library. X-man noticed him, ran up, kissed him on forehead and said, "How's it goin' Butthead?"

My head sunk into my hand, and I hoped Turtle E's grandmother and brother couldn't determine what he said. I tried not to over react and give the word power. If he knows I don't want him to say it, he's so much more likely to use it. Because clearly he showed great affection for Turtle E. I think he just thought it was a funny word to say.

Then today in the car on the way to Target, X-man dropped his sticky fruit roll-up (last time I buy those) on his coat. "Oh crap!" He used it appropriately, but when I asked him why he said it, he couldn't really figure out an answer. I guess it just comes naturally.

So, if your ears are a bit sensitive to certain words, you may want to steer clear of X-man for a while. Because I literally have no idea what he's going to say. I can promise you that we're trying to teach him not to use words toward people in a hateful way. No name calling out of anger, fear or bullying. I think here -- he actually meant Butthead as a pet name.


2 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Both of my kids say 'Dannit!' and they use it appropriately. We've tried addressing it, ignoring it, offering alternative words to use.

At this point, I give up and just hope they don't say it at school. :P

Anonymous said...

Dana,
One of my other friends who blogs just wrote about the same thing this week. I think it will make you smile if you want to check it out.

http://kellogues.wordpress.com/2009/12/18/dear-blog-friends/

Her story is right at the top of the post. My personal favorite from our house is the time that Tula was giving John a hard time one day, and Libby was "reading" a book on the couch next to me. Without even looking up or missing a beat she mutters, "Damn stupid dog." Priceless... inappropriate... but priceless.