Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Unplanned Staycation

So this morning at 4:30, I should have been in the shower trying to wake up before jumping in the blue car (our designated airport shuttle) and taking off on a 6:30 a.m. flight to St. Croix in the Virgin Islands to see my friend the Doctor.

The Doctor lives in St. Croix in a lovely house that she and her significant other have spent the last several years updating and making all kinds of awesome while she teaches at the University of the Virgin Islands.

Alas, I was not on that flight because the ugly storm that blew through pretty much the entire mainland of the United States and parts of Canada yesterday canceled my flight from Champaign to Chicago... which made making my morning connection impossible and all later flights were full. I even tried to see about getting a Lex bus at 2 a.m. to haul my butt up there in the crazy storms to make it. But no.

So I have miles and am rescheduling for the end of July (once they put the miles back in MacTroll's freaking account). But still, I was packed. I was ready. I wanted a beer and a float in the ocean, and I wanted to forget about the current state of me for a while. I was ready for vacation, and it feels like it got ripped out from under me.

Instead of pouting too much (I'll admit there were sobs of "It's not fair. Why does this always happen to me? Blah, blah, blah"), I pulled it together and decided to do two things I hadn't done yet this summer including, 1) Going blueberry picking at Pontious Farm in White Heath  and 2) Go shopping for rugs for our new wood floors in Ikea, which I was supposed to do until my house was plagued by a stomach bug.

It was too beautiful of a day to spend it inside... so I went blueberry picking today and came home with just shy of 5 lbs. Blueberry Burgers anyone?


The Fearless Freak said...

How was your picking? I haven't had any success in the last couple of years so I decided to not go this summer.

Looseyfur said...

I got 4.75 lbs of blueberries in about 45 minutes. But I went by myself, which is helpful. X-man always sees the playground and doesn't want me to pick, he wants me to watch him play.

The trick for me has always been to go as far away from the house as possible. This time was no different. It was a bit mosquito-y, even in bright sun at 11 a.m. but not too bad. And the Japanese beetles were way less than they were when I was there two years ago.