Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Bucket List

Ever since that whole Bucket List movement came about, I've been wondering what items I'd dare put on my list of things to do before I die. The thought was really pretty morbid, so my mind would wander to things that didn't really matter -- like, "I want to visit Paris."

It sounded so bland. Lots of people make those kinds of arrangements. So I'd update it to:

"I'd like to own a beach house in the Caribbean." Okay, that sounds much more lavish and sexy and useful because other people can come visit you. At the same time, that takes a crap load of money that really, I'd rather apply to more common sense things. Why own one, when you can rent one and someone else can take care of the upkeep and hurricane issues? (See, I really am quite practical.)

Next idea, "I'd like to run a marathon." Yeah, right. Your body won't take that. Not unless they have a marathon that lasts over 5 days and you can log a little over five miles a day, so your knee and back get a bit of a break. Try again.

"I want to get a body lift procedure." Okay, not really. Well, kind of. But that isn't common sense at all.

What do you really want?

"I really want to be able to put my body and mind to anything I decide I want to do when I want to do it."

Well, okay, that seems a little selfish. Or is it?

On an airplane you're supposed to put your mask on first before your child's, right? So at what point are you the narcissistic parent who completely ignores your children and doesn't participate in their lives because you've become so obsessed with fulfilling your fantasies that you completely forgot that being part of their lives was once your ultimate fantasy?

The other problem was that this idea takes an extraordinary amount of planning and self control. I have both in spades. But I do not have control over the crap that life throws my way. This I know as a fact. So, you have to reassess and reset your priorities.

"I want to get to the end of my life and have no regrets."

Oooooh, that's a pretty good goal. It doesn't exactly list all the lame things you might want to do, but if you think they're too lame to put on a list, you probably won't regret not doing them. It also lets you take great risks or live as safe as houses, depending on what you want to do.

Way to leave it open ended without the predicability of a checklist... as you can tell -- I have commitment issues with myself. :-)

No comments: