Sunday, July 11, 2010

Phat Ass TV shows

Last spring I went over to Lavender Lemonade's and watched the season finale of Biggest Loser. I had never seen the show before, and I missed a lot of the drama of the weight loss and just got a lot of the before and after. I watched it as a person who had lost 92.6 lbs in the last 15 months. I watched it as other people transformed their bodies the way I transformed mine.

I looked at the two female finalist winners and was in awe. They were similar in age, similar in body height and weight when they started, but in the end they were 15-25 lbs lighter than me. They looked amazing. And I was confused. Where was their extra skin? Were those sports bras tailored to fit them just right? Because at a 1.25-1.5 lb per week weight loss (well within what is considered a slow wight loss) my stomach looks something like this (no it's not me, google search extra skin images...):


Huh? Oh well. People are different. I'll never get to be 135 lbs. It won't happen. Right now I'm a 126 lbs of lean muscle mass. You know what that means? I'd have to be freaking GI Jane to weigh 135. And although I'm all about girl power (Go, Jane, Go!), I'm happy with a body fat in the "ideal" range for my height. 

Today, I watched the second episode of Huge, the drama about a weight loss camp for teenagers on ABC Family. Although I can totally identify with being the obese teenager. The person I identify the most with now is the psychologist in charge of the camp, Dr. Rand. She was once a camper, but grew up and got her weight under control by creating a series of plans and choices she had to make to keep her smaller size.

This week, the cook offered her a low-calorie banana blueberry mini muffin made with applesauce and flaxseed. She thanked him, but declined. "I don't eat after dinner -- ever." He furrowed his brow at her and said, "It's a small muffin."

She waved her hand in front of her face and declined again, explaining that she just couldn't do it. He talked her into taking it for the morning. Then in the middle of an emotional e-mail to her mother, she went to grab for the muffin and only saw crumbs. She'd already eaten it in a moment of emotional turmoil and hadn't even realized it. She was hardwired that way, and it's scary when that lack of control comes over you. Even over something tiny like a little muffin. The "Why not?" can so easily end up becoming the regular behavior rather than the exception.

Reality. Much more real to me than Jillian Michaels shouting in obese people's faces. Although I think it's funny that the Huge fitness instructor is obviously penned as a Jillian Michaels on crack. I don't find any redeeming features about the fitness instructor, yet... We'll have to see if I continue watching. 

No comments: