Sunday, February 8, 2009

From the Road 2

This was my first trip to Phoenix as a "grown up" (notice the quotes). And even though it was dark when I arrived, I immediately started having Orlando flashbacks as KAP and J drove me to dinner at Loco Patron in Old Town Scottsdale. Everything was shockingly clean for a place where it rarely rains. KAP and J had never seen what I immediately identified as a retention area next to their apartment complex with water in it. 

We ate dinner and chattered. It was awesome to catch up. KAP isn't a phone person. We converse mostly through short e-mails, Facebook messages and letters/funny cards at birthdays and Christmas. I've known her since I was 12 and loved her since I was 14. She and J have been together for over five years, and he's a pretty amazing guy. But holy crap, can they hold their liquor way better than me.

On Saturday, after seeing where KAP works and a bit of shopping (The economy woes seem to be hitting Phoenix pretty bad. Stores like Peek and Artafax seemed overjoyed with me making purchases... even going so far to say, "We're just so happy you're here!") we went to Zipp's sports bar and sat outside in the lovely 68 degree weather watching the Michigan/UCONN game while the three of us and two of their friends (the friendly Tim and lovely Staci) consumed a bucket of domestic long necks, followed by 4 (or was it 5?) pitchers of beer. We shared nachos and wings for dinner. And then we thought we'd go to a movie, but instead, we went back to the apartment, changed into jammies and sat around talking more. 

It was fun to be social for the weekend, to be their guest and to see life in the desert, which was a lovely 68-72 degrees each day. 

But I have to admit my body freaked out at the sunshine. It was like the joy Illinoisans feel on the first day of spring when everyone goes giddy and starts driving around with the top down and all the U of I students suddenly take up jogging in next to nothing apparel-wise.

At the apartment complex, they had bushes with flowers, damn it. Swimming pools were open everywhere, although none of the locals were in them. To them -- it was cold. Outdoor seating is available everywhere, including PF Chang's where we had lunch one day.

And as we sat in the apartment shooting the shit from 8 p.m. to midnight with our comfy pants on and mixed drinks in hand, it began to rain like mad. 

This morning, the retention pond had a lot of standing water. To me it was normal, but to folks who have been in the desert for a year and a half, it completely weirded them out.

So I return to Central Illinois to where it's warmed up significantly over the weekend, but alas, is not yet spring. I've never craved, in February, to see my tulips before. 

2 comments:

Quigs78 said...

I swear I read the whole thing and I'm really glad you had fun and all - but you ate at PF Changs?!? I LOVE that place! Please please please tell me you ate some lettuce wraps for me! :P

SunnyD said...

LOL, No lettuce wraps.

But we did have crab wontons and I had the seared ahi tuna with some killer soba noodles.