Friday, February 20, 2009

The Pick-up

On Thursday, I picked up X-man from school. He, as usual, had no interest in going home. I sat down on the floor with the Turtles for a bit and talked to a lot of them that know me. There's a new student in X-man's class who does not speak any English. We're learning bits and pieces about this in one of my classes at school. There are several bilingual students at Next Generation, which is awesome. I love it when I'll talk to one of them in English and then their parents will come to get them and out flows their first language. I am often jealous, and feel a bit like the dumber American with my elementary French language skills. But in this economy we won't be living in a place where my child will learn a second language by submersion.  Of course MacTroll spent 0-5 years in Europe and pretty much lost all of his French, only to have it in high school and lots in college -- and now at 33 is at the same level as me. So... I'll give myself a break.

The other thing that happened was that I met a parent by name. This often doesn't happen. With everyone dropping off their children at different times, you know the kid, not whom he or she belongs to. Today I met Dave, bringing the total Dads in the C-U area named Dave that I know to five, I believe. Dave has an awesome little girl who is very chatty and sweet. I love her enthusiasm. I see Dave the most out of all the parents because we have similar drop off/pick up times. So it's nice to know him as something other than his child's Dad.

On the way out of school, we ran into Golden Girl, a former Turtle who has turned three and moved up to the next classroom and her mother. Golden Girl was a great classmate too. Her mother was also sweet enough to bring up that she had read my blog and appreciated my review of the Children's Museum in Chicago. (I'd link to it, but I'm so lazy this a.m.)

It was the first time anyone had called me out about my blog in public, which was kind of nice. Mostly since lots of other blogs I read I'm excited about because they have a purpose like reviewing local food or keeping the community updated on local businesses or keeping family updated on their children. 

My blog doesn't really have an exterior purpose other than to prove as a centering mechanism for me. 


No comments: