Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Love Your Library!

Something you may not know about me is that I love working in public libraries. I worked at the North Suburban Library in Loves Park from 1991-1996. I started out shelving and putting the metal sticker strips that make the security alarms go off into all the materials. As I got older, I did a lot of work in the children's section. I created a database for parents and school teachers who were looking for high-quality books on particular issues like divorce, diversity, potty training, death, etc. I also worked as a children's reference librarian, which rocked. I also worked the circulation desk and assisted the community outreach person with the monthly newsletter. The job let me see all aspects of public libraries from the overactive children who climb shelves, to the homeless people searching for warmth, to the die-hard romance readers who mark each paperback so they know which Harlequins they've read. It didn't pay a lot (my wage ranged from $3.62 to $5.00 over five years) but it was very flexible to my high school and college schedule. 

When we moved back to Illinois from Virginia, I wanted to work part-time, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I ended up being hired as a circulation clerk for the Champaign Public Library. It was a temporary position while another employee served overseas in the military. I trained at the main library and then worked at the Douglass Branch, where my circulation duties and my past experience with children's programs blended. I was sad when my time ended at 10 months, and I thought I'd like to go to library school. Unfortunately, I didn't get into the University of Illinois that year. When I applied they warned me that the down economy was driving up their application numbers. And let's face it, I'm good, but children's librarian isn't sexy. At least not as sexy as the librarians who want to reinvent information management. I mean, I'm impressed by that. 

Regardless, I've never given up my love for the library. And on Feb. 15, the University of Illinois Center for Children's Books is having their annual sale. I had to miss it last year because I was on travel to California. But this year, I'm excited about going. Yes, it costs $20 just to get into the door. But once your in, books range from $1-2 for paperbacks and $5 for hardbacks. I take along a canvas bag and fill it for X-man and then come home all excited about reading all of my purchases. 

The sale itself is a big rush. Kind of like one of those Christmas morning releases. They put everyone in a holding cell in the order they arrived and then they set us free and people rush around shoving books in boxes. These are new books, mind you. Schools, churches, daycares, pre-schools, they all send a posse of people with boxes and crates and dollies. Other libraries use it to pick up books, too! There aren't very many individuals there. But I find it worth it every time I go. I'm usually in and out in under an hour. But my rush lasts for days. 

Because the one place I love more than the library -- is a bookstore.

Which makes me completely panicked about the current closure of Pages for All Ages. Seriously. It makes me sick to my stomach to drive by their parking lot and see it empty and the lights off with the evil signs up that they've closed for "THE DAY" for inventory. 

And that's not just because I have a gift card I'd like to spend. It's because I LOVE that place. 

7 comments:

Amy said...

I heard about this sale. But I didn't realize it costs $20 to get in the door. That is a great deal for new books though!
I just bought 29 books on Ebay so I think I'll sit out of the sale this year, but maybe next year I'll check it out.

makeup_girl said...

Is Pages really closing? I loved that place!

SunnyD said...

Harley, the pre-sale (Sunday, Feb. 15) is $20 to go. Monday through Wednesday are free -- but very, very picked over.

Makeup_girl -- there's been no update if this is a temporary or indefinite closure.

Quigs78 said...

My heart stopped when I read this. I thought you were going to say that they closed for sure. I drove by it again this morning on the way home from the gym to see if they reopened yet.

I'm crossing my fingers that they do.

Laura Wells said...

I remember visiting you in the Loves Park library. I love libaries. I love book sales. I would love to come to the book sale, but alas, the gas would be too much!

~rachel~ said...

I love the library, I've never been to that sale- I'm guessing you don't take young kids?

Yesterday on Oprah they were talking about saving money- this on family spent A LOT on new movies, and they were talking about the library- she said she had no idea you could get movies- for free- at the library!! I couldn't believe that!

Lavender Lemonade said...

How did I miss the Library post, 3 days before Panda was born?? Read anything good lately? I am FINALLY reading (well, listening to) Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. I wish I knew more about the Greek gods and myths!