Thursday, February 26, 2009

South Side Elementary School

The second school I toured was South Side Elementary. It is at the corner of Pine and John Streets just south of Green Street, one block from Prospect.

Southside is the smallest elementary school in the district with less than 300 students. It only has two classrooms at each grade level (a 2-tier system) and touts personal connection with students as being one of its leading strengths. 

I have to admit, I liked it. It felt the way I think an elementary school should feel. It's intimate. Everyone knows everyone, no matter what grade they're in. So if your kid is acting up somewhere in the building as a third grader, chances are more than likely a fifth grade teacher will be able to identify him/her by name and get them on track. Not only that, but the administrator, Mr. Jeff Scott, who gave the tour, talked about how that kind of responsibility extends to the kids as well. That it's not unlikely for a fourth grader to look out for a kindergartner she just met out on the playground at the beginning of the year. 

When I was in the library waiting for the tour, students were clamoring for graphic novels, but one of the teachers apologized and asked them to be patient because they didn't have enough to go around in the school library for every student who wanted one. The librarian, who was very helpful and welcoming to me, said she spends her time between South Side and B.T. Washington. 

I also learned on this tour that all the schools teach the exact same curriculum pretty much on the exact same day no matter what school they're at. And when I walked into the rooms, I saw the same art projects, social studies projects, etc. as I saw hanging at Barkstall when I was there. 

The difference between the two schools so far is that South Side does seem more laid back, more familiar. Teachers here teach in a variety of clothing. Some in jeans and sweaters with hiking boots. Some in dress pants with button down shirts and high heeled shoes. I was also grateful for Scott for taking us in a reading room. We could see the teacher's set up for how she tracks readers in every grade. She had a private coding system, but we could see that about 3/4 of the students were either at expected level or above, and that there were only a few below. 

We spent a lot of time visiting some kindergartners in music class. The teacher had a smart board, which made one of the U of I professor parents a little jealous. :-) One of the kindergartners was using a mallet to manipulate the board so they could alter the songs they were playing on their instruments. Another half of the class were plugged into computers using keyboards and music software. Scott explained that the music teacher was a Fulbright Scholar and had brought back a lot of "World Music" instruments that she introduces to the classes.

Which brings me to the School of Choice Theme, according to the Unit 4 web site and the flyer handed out -- it doesn't appear to have one, which makes me wonder (since it wasn't brought up at Barkstall during the tour but was on the flyer) if this SOC theme business is going away since everyone is working their hardest to meet No Child Left Behind testing standards.

South Side does promote the fact that it has an "award-winning" Parent/Teacher Association, although I have to admit I don't know what that means, other than they must be pretty involved. In addition, some kind of connection with Windsor of Savoy and a Mr. Peter Fox has helped South Side obtain Smartboards for every classroom. Half of them will be installed this spring, the other half in the fall. 

There are computers in each of the classrooms, even in kindergarten. Most of them are PCs, but I did see an old eMac in the music room. Scott also stressed that he has many teachers who have taught for years at South Side, which, to me, shows a commitment not just to the school, but the neighborhood. Although, Scott and the principal have only both been there one year.

We peeked in on the gym class. The gym and the cafeteria are in the same place at South Side. There the second kindergarten class was learning volleyball skills with balloons as they listened to House music. They were adorable trying to learn to set their balloons while their butts wiggled to the beat of the music. 

Lunch averages to around 17 minutes to eat and 17 minutes to play. That seems fast to me, but apparently it's the standard timeframe from other parents I've talked to in the district. I do wish they got more recess. But Kindergartners do get a "chill out" time for 5-10 minutes every day where the teacher turns off the lights and they rest their heads and reset for the afternoon's lessons.

My early ed teachers would also be thrilled to know that South Side has blocks. The big kind. The kind kids can create roads on. They also have centers and their own private locker areas so they don't get overwhelmed by the big kids.

South Side bells are at 8:30 a.m. and 2:45 p.m., and when I left, I felt like this school felt more in line with me personally (in terms of the small school environment). What can I say, I like intimacy. :-) We'll see what's best for X-man when we know a bit more about him in the next couple of years.

Oh, and no air-conditioning in the building (it was built in 1923), but they're on a standard schedule with long summers and short spring and winter breaks. The doors were locked. You had to push a button to get let in. Not welcoming, but secure.

8 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

I'm not sure what the deal with the themes is but each school has one and none of them seem to make any kind of deal about them. I want to say SS is Science but it has been awhile since I looked that in depth at other schools. Westview's is "Technology in the 21st Century" because they have (or had) a student TV station.

And Peter Fox is just really involved in all of Champaign schools. He has sponsored a ton of stuff at Westview and I've heard from some Kenwood parents that he has done stuff there too.

And Smartboards are crazy cool! I can't wait until we get ours. The PTA pledged their amount and we are working on the additional funds and should have them ordered this spring and installed by fall.

~rachel~ said...

Do they really only get 17mins. of recess all day?

I've been (slowing) reading The Trouble with Boys, and am starting to get a little freaked out by all this school stuff!

SunnyD said...

They have gym class twice a week, but yes. 17 minute on average, he said.

Anonymous said...

My friend Jaime (Mr. Roundtree) teaches 5th grade at South Side--great teacher! He's in a hip-hop duo out of Chicago that plays political demonstrations and has toured Europe. He integrates his writing and song into his classroom. There was an article written about it a couple of years back. I'll see if I can find it and pass it on. Even if Xander doesn't go there, you can pass it on. Oh, I'm fb friends with Zanne :)

SunnyD said...

KTDID, how long is lunch/recess at your school? I'm just curious for a comparison.

Anonymous said...

Recess is 15 min, and lunch is 40 (20 at tables and 20 min recess, in which some kids continue sitting and eating). I heard of a great idea that a private school tried (and loved). They had recess BEFORE lunch. The kids not only increased their metabolism before eating, they sat quietly eating and were calm in class from the beginning of that post-lunch class. did I hear this from you, Looseyfur?

SunnyD said...

We had split lunches in elementary school. So that if you had first lunch you ate first and everyone else went out to play. Then after 20 minutes you switched, so the people who were eating came outside and the people at recess went to lunch.

~rachel~ said...

Last year they were talking about doing the recess before lunch thing, but I'm not sure if they ended up doing it this year. They were hoping itwould lessen the number of kids who would be "sick" during recess- after running around full.