Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tales from the Couch


Well, here he is surrounded in his toys, eating the movie popcorn and perusing the new Handy Manny book that Roger Rogers brought over. He spent last night on the couch, with MacTroll on a mat on the floor. But his Motrin wore off around 4 a.m., and he begged to go to his bed. So, MacTroll brought him up and I got him more Motrin and more ice for his leg and held him until he whimpered and moaned himself back to sleep. I stayed with him until he woke up at 6:30 a.m. and then got my laptop so he could watch some Backyardigans in bed, followed by a tray of snacks for breakfast (syrup or cereal in bed didn't seem like a good idea for a 3 year old).

I ran to the store to figure out more snack-like items that weren't entirely empty calories (I think I did okay with the new Clif organic fruit twists, whole wheat fish crackers, bananas, grapes and some low-fat/low-calorie cheese sticks). There was this huge part of me that kept wanting to put ice cream or candy or "special" items in the cart. I seriously had huge resistance issues. In the end, I decided I'd spoil him by getting him something new to "do" rather than something to eat (and as a food addict, you know that was like a novel idea for me). So I picked him up a Leapster 2 with a Backyardigans game. It had been on my X-mas suggestion list for relatives, but if he's going to be semi restricted for the next month or so, really -- I'm okay with it. It might be the one thing that helps me keep my sanity.

Because here's my problem. Some kids are entirely happy being indoors most of the time, some are happy with an even balance, if it were up to my kid he'd be hitting balls off his tee and riding his bike and climbing at the park every single hour of every single day. He gets bored inside. He gets bored with TV. And keeping him still is rough. See those bats in  the photo -- he knows he can't walk. But he still wants to lie on the couch and have you pitch him balls to swing at. 

Sans blague.

2 comments:

Rudy said...

Wow, deja vu... sounds just like the k-man last summer. He also likes to be up and DOING. Once X-man is casted though, give him a day to master walking on it and he will be back to his active self. My big boy felt so so much better after he was casted and had a truly immobilized injury (he broke the temp cast... fun). Anyway... By tuesday or wednesday, things should be looking much better for him. Let us know if you need anything.

~rachel~ said...

Poor x-man!! Both my boys are the same way- hate being inside, I'm sure they would go crazy inside! Hope he's doinf alright and not in to much pain, I've never broken a bone, but I imagine it's a pretty painful thing to recover from- hope you both aren't stuck inside too long!