Thursday, July 23, 2009

X-man 1, Mom 0

Today, I did a parenting marathon. I fed X-man breakfast and drove him to D-town to go to Scovill Zoo. We were there for 2.5 hours. We did lunch in Mount Zion at Culver's and then I drove him the hour home. 

Once we got home, I made myself lunch while I put on the TV for X-man to watch. He sighed, came over to me as I'm about to start consuming my lasagna and said, "Let's go outside and play baseball."

I managed to get enough reprieve that he allowed me to take 5 minutes to eat my lunch. Then we went outside. We played t-ball, tag, dug up two potatoes, pretended to be builders, in the sand box, out of the sand box, filled up the baby pool, road bikes, played soccer, played basketball, watered the neighbors' plants, played Legos... it was NON-stop. At 4:30 p.m. KTDID got home. She agreed to watch X-man while I ran out and picked up SuperCooper some dog food (Welcome to our new super neighbor, CinderElla, who might have been a bit late to the ball, but arrived this evening). 

Then we had twice monthly potluck at my house, so I put some chicken and turkey dogs on the grill. He had 2.5 hours of uninterrupted play time with friends. Then he played with me for 30 minute before taking a 30-minute bath... and watching 30 minutes of How It's Made. We read 3 stories, made it through 2 Superman stories before he announced he was tired and was going to sleep on his sleeping bag on the floor. He was out at 9:30 p.m.

The fact that he had to do ALL of those things to go to bed on time completely freaks me out. Where does that energy come from, and can I tap into it somehow, because by 4:30 I was exhausted. Tomorrow he's going back to school. And why is it having 5 three-year olds at the same time is easier than one? I guess because they entertain themselves or at least each other?



2 comments:

iamarogers said...

Energy available to people under 12 only. I hear you, lady, and you are a better woman than I for taking him to such fun places. Just imagine him at 16 trying to sleep in on Saturday mornings. :)

Anonymous said...

As to why it's easier having 5 toddlers instead of one? I am assuming that other parents are there... it's all about spreading out the coverage. One or two adults can make sure that 5 don't eat the dirt or run into the street, while 1 or 2 others can handle food and drinks, etc. But, when it's a 1:1 adult to kid ratio, it's just you, doing it ALL.