Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mandatory Rest Requirements for Parents

Pilots have them.
Truckers have them.
Doctors have them.
Why don't parents? 

I'm not a woman who does well when she's deprived of sleep. I can't function. I'm a terrible international traveler. It takes me 2 days to even show up for breakfast. I'm dangerous behind a car. I'm dangerous walking on flat land. I fell up my stairs last night partly because I was pooped and partly because my pj bottoms are getting too big and I tripped on one of the legs. 

I have a lot to do today, but I'm exhausted from a long drive home. I mowed the front lawn yesterday before it started to rain (well, okay, I was still mowing a bit when the rain came). And I wrote my short feature article on preventing heatstroke for the CCHS newsletter last night. Today I have to get a lot of the June newsletter edited and prepared for my review committee. The weather doesn't seem to be cooperating for outdoor activities this week, which may lead me to cancel the race tomorrow afternoon and reschedule my sensory activity since I'm really not prepared to bring the experience indoors after being gone for five days. Mother nature has a way of screwing with me when I plan anything outdoors.

But I do have a little boy who woke up at 5:30 a.m. and upon my insistence, curled up next to me and went back to sleep until 7 a.m. He's now eating his breakfast like a champ (which is unheard of lately). 

No comments: