Thursday, January 7, 2010

I can't believe we're XM subscribers.

Mmm, the husband and I have come to a strange crossroads. We're iPod people through and through, but this XM in the new car thing required us to "explore other options."

"We're not paying $30 a month for this," MacTroll said. I agreed. Even though I'm kind of partial to the "80s on 8" and "90s on 9" and the fact that I can get Quebec news en Français (so what that it's the same 5 stories every 2 minutes).

And then the renewal information came.

"$14 a month, and they have this station that I think you'll like," I said before programming the "Classic Wave" into the set.

One week later, MacTroll's response. "I dig this channel. It's like the Morrissey channel. Maybe for $14 a month, it might be worth it." (Yes, he actually used the word "dig.") I wouldn't have spent $14 for any of the stations I might like or his Morrissey station...

What finally sold me was Kids Place Live. X-man loves it. They play new and different kids music, mostly stuff that doesn't make us want to pull our hair out. And X-man got to hear his name on the radio and they played not one, but two requests, I put on their Facebook page for us on the way back from Rockford to Savoy. And they're on all the time. It's more fun than the limited supply of kids music we've been playing for X-man since he was born.

So, now we've got XM for a year. Here's to hoping I understand more than 20 percent of each of the French Canadian newscasts by this time next year, because what I understand now is mostly hockey and stories about H1N1 and flu vaccinations.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

XM is also quick to give a deal if you call them. I think at one point Bob said the service was too expensive and they gave him 3 months for $12. But that was before the XM Sirius merger. I gave it up at the end of November because I just don't spend enough time in the car any more to justify the expense. There's a cat song on kid's place live I just love.

makeup_girl said...

Brady spends 90% of his work day in his truck. He's had XM for years now. We also have a speaker system for out-of-car listening, and he can hook it up to the stereo mania that he has in the garage. I guess you could say we are fans. :)