Friday, August 6, 2010

Happy Noodle/Sad Noodle

Happy Noodle: Today we took X-man to the Spray Park at Miller Park in Bloomington next to the Miller Park Zoo. We met some friends there and had an awesomely good time. We arrived around 10:45 a.m., played, ate some lunch, went to the zoo and then went back to the park. We left around 2 p.m. and X-man fell asleep in the back of the car. It was a lot of fun, and I'd do it again in a flash. I really wish the Urbana Park District had decided to create something more like the splash park in its three proposals. Mostly, it's nice that families can get the water play they need on a hot day -- for FREE.

Our trip last week to East Peoria to Splashdown was also a success. Again, it was less of a water park and more like a spray park, however there was a lazy river and a small lap pool. The nice part about Miller Park is that the spray playground is free, where as Splashdown is $8 per adult, $6 per child and $3 for spectator (if someone doesn't want to get wet).

My mom is in town, so she got to go with us to the park today. The kids were bounding to and fro but she sat at the picnic table in the shade watching everyone coming and going, which was nice.

Our room in the basement is framed. I'm not sure when the drywall folks will appear.

We're leaving for Canada on Thursday. MacTroll has a meeting in the Bay area, so he's going to fly from SFO to Detroit, where X-man and I are going to pick him up at 4 p.m. Then he can drive from Detroit to Toronto. On Friday, we're going to visit Toronto Island beach and then take X-man on a bike ride to the Rectory Café and then to Center Island... although, we might have to reverse that, since he'll go crazy if he sees the rides and we don't stop. :-)

Sad Noodle: Ever since my diagnosis with DDD, I've been wondering how my racing schedule was going to change. The truth is that I have no idea how my body is going to respond day to day, and it's making me very frustrated and angry that one day it's like nothing happened and the next day I'm barely able to stand in my kitchen and pour myself a bowl of cereal. Things get better when I move, so I keep walking. My life demands mobility... and my condition will only get worse if I don't keep the weight off and don't move. But holy cow, it's depressing. I kept telling myself that if I could show up and finish the park district triathlon (which was a swim through the lazy river, a small bike ride and a 2-mile run) tomorrow, I would be okay to do the try-a-tri in Toronto.

Well, here I am. I can't cross my legs without my back pulling. I could hardly walk today. After 40 minutes I was spasming to the point of insanity at 8 a.m. this morning, even after taking something for the pain. It's great when it's fine. And it sucks when it's out. And I don't get any choice as to when things happen. But it also means I'm going to have to pass on both triathlons.

As it turns out, I'm not Wonder Woman. And this pisses me off quite completely.

Thanks to Kids Place Live for introducing me to the Happy Noodle vs. Sad Noodle song.

2 comments:

Dana said...

I will keep my fingers crossed for more good days than bad days. I strongly believe you will keep moving and keep the weight off because you are doing it for the right, healthy-related reasons first and foremost.

P.S. What age range would you apply to the water parks in terms of enjoyment?

SunnyD said...

Both are good for a day trip. Splashdown in East Peoria I think would be find until high school. None of it is daring, but it is a lot of fun, and there's some comfort in knowing that you (as a parent) can pretty much see all the big kid attractions from the lazy river. :-)

The spray park is probably more exciting for elementary school kids and younger. Xander was going down the giant play slides without a problem, but the spray gun shooters and water sprays were very much like running through a sprinkler -- just more decorative.