Monday, November 15, 2010

How It Works in My House

I made Three-Pepper Cilantro Fajitas tonight. Here's how it went:

A) I forgot to put in the cilantro.
B) My child insisted that the bell peppers were spicy, spit it out, and announced he was making his own dinner and went to the cupboard for bread and peanut butter.
C) My husband ate the meatless concoction. Then he went back for seconds, microwaving leftover pork in a styrofoam container to add to his dinner.
D) When I informed him that he shouldn't do that because it releases all of the cancer-causing chemicals in the styrofoam into his dinner and isn't at all microwaveable safe. He looks flabbergasted. He looks at the bottom of the styrofoam in disbelief and then starts to add the pork to his dinner regardless of my warnings. So I have to go look it up on the Internet to prove I'm not the moron.
E) Meanwhile, while this debate is going on, my son is STILL complaining, as he eats his PB sandwich that he doesn't like peppers. No kids like peppers. In fact, next time I should just not buy peppers at the store at all, he doesn't care if Daddy and Mommy like peppers... on and on and on.
F) My husband noticing me getting irate, sighs, and takes the pork off the plate and announces that his leftover meat will be going into the garbage.
G) My son eats 4 bites of the sandwich and nothing else, except the 12 Tostitoes I put on his plate. Still grumbling.

So, if you, too want to enjoy this memorable dining experience with your nearly carnivore spouse and super star complaining child... here's the recipe.

Three Pepper Cilantro Fajitas
1/3 cup each sliced red, yellow and orange bell peppers
1 small onion sliced
Pam cooking spray (or 1 tbsp olive oil)
1/2 cup canned low-fat refried beans
2 whole wheat tortillas
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Make it: Sauté peppers and onion in cooking spray (oil) for 8 minutes, or until tender. Warm refried beans in microwave per instructions; spread on tortillas. Top with vegetables and cilantro.

It takes 10 minutes to make. MacTroll said it was "fine." I gave him some habanero from the garden to add to it, but he refrained.

Life: Love it or leave it.

No comments: