Monday, November 29, 2010

A Room of One's Own update

One step forward, two steps backwards. It's hard to imagine that a 12'x12' room creation in my basement could be such a pain in the ass, but it has been.

For example, whenever a process seems too easy, it probably is. We went into Flooring America by Meijer and picked out the laminate I wanted in 2 minutes. The sales woman was pleased that we were so low maintenance. She came to our house 48 hours later to do the measuring and talk to us about baseboards and installation. Then she sent me the quote for the materials and labor. It was under my projected budget, so I was happy. Then the guys came and started installation on Nov. 22. I was running around doing errands that day and MacTroll was working from home. It wasn't until 3:30 p.m. when I got downstairs to take a peek. 

It was a Coastal Living Flooring -- but it wasn't the gray I ordered. It was a brown. I told the guys to stop and called the sales person. She was out to lunch. I got the guy who does the ordering and told him the problem. Of course, the order form that I approved (because I saw Coastal Living and the price and not the color) had the brown floor. But it wasn't the sample I picked out or the one I took home... so they took up the flooring and placed an order for right one. 

I never heard back from the sales person to apologize. 

Several years ago, I wanted the house on Buttercup painted white in the living room. It was beige and I'm not a fan of brown (clearly). But if you know me, you know I lack the coordination to walk up stairs without tripping... Therefore, ladders and I do not get along. I hired Blair Cohen at Picasso and Sons to do the painting. I love them. They left my house every day cleaner than I ever had it. They were timely, polite and they did a bang up job. They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny. 

So, I hired them back to do the basement work and the trim around all the new floors. The basement bathroom is now purple. My Loosey-only room is optimistic yellow... They have to come back after the flooring is installed to make sure their paint job doesn't get messed up by the flooring installers (and for that I'm grateful). 

At some point, I'll get up to Ikea to pick out some furniture. I did find some interesting couches that turn into a double bed online that I'm keeping in mind. We'll see. 

1 comment:

Quigs78 said...

Pics of the purple, please! I'm thinking Grimace purple and I want to see if I'm right. :P