Monday, June 20, 2011

Old School

For those of you who don't know, my spouse works for the Fruit. This means we have lots of gizmos and handheld devices. More than we know what to do with. I have a hand-me down iPhone. He just gave me an iPad2, just because. We're teched out over here like mad.

And I've tried to be one of those people who tries to use the technology to make my life easier. I've downloaded a grocery shopping app that allows you to make your list, enter in prices and groups items into the areas where you'd find those things in the store, to make them easier to remember so you won't get to the check out line, look down at your list and curse because you forgot something. But entering everything into the phone took a long, long time. 

Similarly, I've tried two different food journaling apps that would allow me to not only track my calories but the nutrients I'm eating. It's overwhelmingly time consuming (i.e. it takes longer than 15 minutes to do the whole day) to insert that kind of information. And I know in the end, once you have your list of frequent eats down, it's supposed to make it easier... but for a woman who rarely makes the same recipe twice, it's a pain in the ass. 

What I'm saying here is that -- I love my pen and paper lists. And as much as I wish I was highbrow and sophisticated enough to commit to the software others design that's supposed to make things easier for me and save trees... I'm still using the free note pads our insurance agent gives us each year for trips to the store.

And since I've absolutely FLOPPED at food journaling the last two weeks due to my foray into iPad ownership an exploration into those apps, I'm going back to my paper notebook for that, too. I think in this case, I've got to use what actually works. But I tried, I really did. 

Do they revoke my Generation X card for this? 

No comments: