Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First Day of First Grade

We woke up this morning at 6:15 a.m. I wake up at that time every morning to let out the dog and feed the cats. Then I usually have "Mom" time (i.e. running the dishwasher and doing laundry). But today, I had to wake the monster.

X-man likes to listen to the radio, particularly the morning show on 94.5. He ran into my room several times this week announcing, "Mommy! Facebook has no money!" or "Daddy's company has the most money!" But this morning was, "Some guy passed out in a car and had some kind of ring on his junk and some people went to breakfast when they should have called the police first." (And I totally took my advantage of it being 6:30 a.m. to negotiate around having to explain that some people refer to penises and vaginas as "junk.") I'm not ready for that yet.

He ate breakfast. He watched a little TV. Everything was fine until we went to take photos. Then he was cold and wanted long pants. I told him he'd be burning up at the end of the day in long pants. And I was right. As it was, he left his sweatshirt at school. :-) Anyway, he threw a fit about not wanting school to start. And this was the "first day of first grade" photo that I got.


We leave to walk to school at 7:30 a.m. X-man was bummed that none of the neighbors were walking with us, but I explained it would take each family some time to figure out what they'd like to do. We said good morning to the two county sheriffs that were directing traffic. We saw that the park bike rack was full. And then as we're going near the front doors, I asked if I could take another photo. X-man refused. But then he said, "Maybe you can take my photo after school, if I decide I like it."

There was some kind of SNAFU about "walkers" at school today. But at 2:35 or so (20 minutes late) X-man walks out the side door. He meets me down the sidewalk and announces, "I liked it!" Then he told me I could take is "happy" photo now. :-) 


He brought home a folder full of information. And in that folder was something we didn't get in kindergarten unless it had something to do with attendance. I know in my heart that every kid probably got one today. But to me, it was really special. 


1 comment:

~rachel~ said...

Awesome! Hope he has a good year :)