Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bob the Builder -- Vintage?

X-man loves Bob the Builder. Every time we're in the car and we pass a construction zone he shouts, "Bob the Builder, Mommy! Look! It's Bob the Builder!" He waves and gets all excited. 

"What is Bob building?" I'll ask.

"He's building a house! Build, Bob, Build! Can we build it? Yes we can!"

So, like any other mother, I figured Bob stuff would be key this holiday season. To begin with we started potty training over Thanksgiving and unlike folks who might have kids that just click with it. Mine goes back and forth (which I read is pretty normal). When he's home, I have him in a shirt but naked from the waist down. And 50 percent of the time he's right on the money. "Potty!" and off he runs. I follow and help him go pee pee, encourage him, reward him with his sticker and his Tootsie roll and back to playing we go. Other days, he stands up from playing with cars and I see a wet spot. I point it out to him and then, like Sunday, he says, "Yes, pee pee on the floor." And then he shows me two other spots where he peed while he was playing. 

We go sit on the potty for a bit. The last six drops of urine in his bladder come out while we're there talking about what the potty is for and how we need to stop what we're doing and listen to our bodies. He nods. Repeats the line that pee pee goes in the potty.

If he has three accidents in a 2-hour time frame, we stop and put on a diaper or a pull up (his choice). Which brings us back to Bob the Builder. The Wonder Twins have Bob the Builder easy ups. But apparently, Bob has fallen to the wayside and Diego has taken over as I searched two Meijers, a Wal-mart and Target for them. I found some on Amazon but they're not the right size. (I need a size 6.)

I approached Special K for info on where she might have gotten hers. And seriously the woman picked up the phone and called everywhere in town for me. How nice was that? But alas, no Bob. Only Diego.

I had the same problem when I walked into Toys R Us looking for Bob stuff. There was a small Bob the Builder tool set and lots of videos. I couldn't find a set of the vehicles anywhere. So I ordered him two online. Apparently, Bob has been replaced in the building field by Handy Manny and his talking tools.

I know all this character love is fleeting. I know he'll move on at some point (like when he still loved Thomas, but really only wanted to watch Bob for four months straight). But more and more the only places I can find Bob are on Ebay. Or from third party resellers on Amazon who jack up the price (say on plastic, disposable sippy cups that are usually $4 at the store to $12 -- not including shipping -- Yeah, I just said to hell with that.)

So while across the country house values and automobile values may be falling, you can apparently stock up on Bob the Builder crap and squeeze money out of desperate parents -- like me.

Or you can do what Freak recommended -- buy the cheap plain diapers and toys and put a Bob sticker on them. (She is a genius!)




3 comments:

Amy said...

First off I would say that potty time is harder on boys than girls. I think their brains are wired differently. (Who knew? lol)
Anyway, didn't even try with JB until 3 and he caught on pretty quickly but it was definitely on his terms.

WW jumped right in and was going by herself in 1 week. She does have older bro to look up to and she was obviously ready. i.e. whenever she had pee or poop in her diaper she ripped it off like it was a blood sucking leech.

2nd note: I too have problems finding The Wiggles stuff for WW. It seems to have been replaced with Backyardigans and so forth. If I'm lucky I'll find stuff of craigslist or sometimes Big Lots. If not I have to sell a crap load of stuff on ebay just to pay for shipping. =)

The Fearless Freak said...

Dude, I'm nothing if not cheap. You are a way better mom than me, because I wouldn't have looked all over fancy panty Bob stuff.

I also agree with HQ, boys just seem wired different re: potty training (and pretty much anything else in life but since we are talking about pottying...). TB was 2 months past his 3rd bday before he got the hang of it.

MT was asking at 18 months to potty (until her DCP nearly dropped her in the potty at school then her interest tapered off for awhile) and was over and done by 2.5, including night time. She still has less bed wetting than he does, at seven.

Laura Wells said...

Too bad they don't make a book about Bob learning to use the potty (There's a great video about the potty by Bear in the Big Blue House but that show is older than Bob). K was sold on using the potty after reading a book called The Princess and the Potty. T promised her a princess dress if she went a month without accidents and we were done. But again, she's a girl.