Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Foodie Christmas

I'm pretty sure both MacTroll and I are going to be in our "fat pants" tonight. Thank goodness for elastic waisted pajamas. 

This morning, I treated the boys to a couple new breakfast recipes from a cookbook I got last year for Christmas from my stepmother. It's a Stonewall Kitchen edition. The breakfast was Huevos Rancheros with bacon chive biscuits (I don't have a biscuit cutter, so I used a star cookie cutter). 


Basically it's sauteed onions with black beans and cumin on top of a baked tortilla. Then you sprinkle it with monterey jack cheese and put two fried eggs on top. Put some pico, sour cream and guacamole (or just avocado chunks) on the side and taaaadaaaah!

For dinner, I made the side dishes and dessert. The veggies are a bunch of green beans, with a cup of freshly chopped tomatoes in the middle. I lined the outside with sliced kalmata olives and then put on a balsamic vinegar, oil, dijon mustard and scallion dressing. Then I topped them with toasted pine nuts (which I used my new giant toaster oven to cook). 

The mashed potatoes were nothing special. But MacTroll whipped out his new cookbook and made us the pork chops with an herb butter on top. 


For dessert, I did chocolate cakes in my ramekins. They had raspberries in the middle.

Now I'm thinking we won't eat at all tomorrow... well, except for X-man. Who decided none of this was good for him and instead lived off of two bowls of grapes, some popcorn and the whipped cream from his chocolate cake. 




4 comments:

Quigs78 said...

That looks incredible! And real napkins and everything - that's a high falutin' day! :)

We went out for Chinese. It was one of the best Christmases ever. :D

Anonymous said...

I do have to agree as to one of my best christmases ever.

No Quigs, none of that.


But the troll can come over and cook for me any time.

-rf

~rachel~ said...

That looks great!! Sounds yummy!

Lindsay said...

Can you guys adopt me? And as an aside, meals like the aforementioned make fat pants all the more comfy and enjoyable!