Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Crazy Kid

There are obviously too many things going on in my child's head these days. He can't seem to figure out if he's coming or going. 

Put potty training, speech development and figuring out the idea of "you" and "me" and you have one bipolar, confused, often grouchy, often elated little guy.

This morning I was getting dressed to take him to school. I saw him wander into his bathroom, turn on the light and shut the door.

I pulled my shirt over my head and walked down the hall to his bathroom. I knocked. 

"Come in!" he said.

I opened the door to find him naked, sitting on the potty (not even using a step to get up there) and pushing his penis down as he went pee pee all by himself.

My mouth dropped open.

"Look, Mommy! I did it! I did it!"

"Awesome job!" I looked around for his overnight diaper. "Where did the diaper go?"

"In garbage in MY room!"

I helped him off the toilet. He flushed and washed and then I gave him his monkey sticker for his chart. He ran out happily and made his way down the stairs. I retreated to get his clothes for the day.

And indeed, in his garbage can was one wet overnight diaper. 

5 comments:

~rachel~ said...

yeah x-man!! I never wanted to believe them, but everyone kept telling me that one day he woul just get it! and it is true.

Quigs78 said...

Get. Out.

That is awesome!!

SunnyD said...

Seriously. I think we just go when he says he wants to go and leave any scheduled trips to the side right now. Maybe as he gets closer to 3, it'll just all come naturally. But right now I'm perfectly fine just having him use the potty when he wants to.

~rachel~ said...

Rowan woke up at 1:30am the other night and went to the bathroom- I'm still a little shocked by it. He's only had 2-3 accidents at night simnce we stopped diapers, but usually he wakes up screaming that he hurts?!

So exciting!!

Laura Wells said...

I am happy for you. Potty training is one of those funny things that is such a big deal for a short time. I am pleased to say that I have gone almost 3 years now without buying diapers. I love this stage of parenting.