Saturday, December 27, 2008

Perpetual Chatter

I was at home with X-man for 10 months before I went back to work. It was long enough for me to create two habits that I have yet to break.

1.) It is impossible for me to stand still without doing the Mommy rock, even though it's been a long, long time since X-man was an infant.

2.) I chatter to/with X-man all of the time. 

Since MacTroll got the week between Christmas and New Year's off, I've been spending some time up in our room resting while MacTroll hangs out with X-man. A lot of it is playing with the TV in the background. Some of it is just watching TV. But what I notice is that X-man will start chattering things like, "More cereal! More cereal!" and he'll say them between five and ten times before it registers with Joel (wherever/whatever he's doing in the room -- dishes, computer reading, laundry). And sometimes it never registers. Like right now it's raining. "Raining! Raining!" I would think that he's waiting for acknowledgement.  But maybe he's just stating a fact. Does it really matter if he gets acknowledged? Is he initiating conversation?

These are things I wonder about.

Ahh, the TV has been turned off and play has moved to the basement. I really should get dressed.

4 comments:

Laura Wells said...

I don't know if it matters that you acknowledge the statements, but H got used to acknowledgement and now at 6 1/2, she gets angry if you don't verbally acknowledge her words. We are working on teaching her about other kinds of acknowledgement.

~rachel~ said...

Mike drives me crazy, it's like he just doesn't hear Rowan at all. He can stand right in front of him and he doesn't get it, while I am screaming from the other room to answer his question or get Mike's attention. Is it just men?

Lindsay said...

I think this must be a mom thing. Like Rachel mentioned, I hear Owen asking Aaron question as I'm DRYING MY HAIR (with a hair dryer in my ear) and I still manage to hear the questions or phrases that beg for acknowledgment.

I can't tell you how many times I say to Aaron from another room, "will you just acknowledge that your son is talking to you."

I'll be honest at times I wish I could tune the chatter out as well, and perhaps that's what I'm reacting to (envy), but either way, it's frustrating.

Lavender Lemonade said...

I was just telling T-Dad yesterday that...that was something he should work on. :)(i'm so helpful.) I'm often like..uh, T-Dad, Bug is talking to you. And I'd just hate for Bug's conversations to get missed, because its amazing these little people are observing the world and trying to verbal share what they notice. I guess I'll lay off T-Dad, a little, if its another "man thing". Ugh, we women have to put up with so much. :)