Friday, January 9, 2009

The I in the INFJ

So I've been thinking a lot lately as to why I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by my life. I live a very active, planned out, fun existence. I really do. So why do I feel so disconnected from everything?

The truth is that I am a small group person. I like one one one; I like one on two. Hell, I'm good with three other people sitting around a booth having a beer. But I suck at crowds.

Nowadays, I find myself in an interesting predicament. It used to be that I had work friends, or school friends or couple friends. The lives of those people only intertwined when I'd throw some kind of holiday party -- for 10. 

My predicament now -- and isn't it a great one to have -- is that by moving back to the midwest and having Xander, I've met A NUMBER of outstanding new people. And I want to spend time with all of them. Being the organizer of CARE let me see them at all kinds of events. But now that our kids are more crazy and mobile (and opinionated), we don't get to chat because we're chasing our 2 year olds around or asking someone else to tackle them while we change a baby's diaper, that, let's face it, sometimes isn't even our own kid. I love it. I love having so many caring and considerate and giving people in my life. It really is amazing.

But I'm starting to freak out when we have get-togethers, because it's not just the 10 friends. It's the 10 friends, their husbands their one to four children... and then it's like a bar mitzvah or a theme park line. And my introverted nerves get fried. 

So, my goal is to make more individual time with those that I love. Sure, I might see you less in terms of quantity, but we'll get much more quality. And I hope that's okay. Because I love you. You make me happy... and I hope you feel the same way.

4 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

Quality over quantity is my new moto. I'm trying to apply it to people, toys, activities, etc. We'll miss seeing you all the time but we will always make time to hang because we love you too :)

Quigs78 said...

You know my door is always open during naps for some uninterrupted chit-chat. (Well, it's open any time really, but we can actually have a conversation rather than the kids fawning all over you like they do.)

I'm going to be opting out of a lot in the next month or so, too - but mostly so my kids can survive the rest of winter.

Misc said...

I'm an introvert as well but I can't seem to find a way to explain my desire to have big huge blow-out parties. What the hell? Maybe it's the caretaker part of me. Whatever.

iamarogers said...

I'm glad we have our regular appointments. I have missed hanging out with everyone. The holidays, sickness, and winter really kind of knocked it out of us.