Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday -- my day off

Today is Sunday, and MacTroll is going to spend a lot of time with X-man today after being gone on a 5-day tour of Texas last week. He flew to Dallas from CMI, then drove with two co-workers to Austin and then to Houston. This week he's flying to California Monday through Wednesday night. 

And since I had a crazy busy week last week with a kid who was getting over a respiratory infection, I'm spending the day doing my reading for school and writing a portion of the e-newsletter for the CCHS.

I also have to do an insane amount of laundry. But most annoying is that I woke up sounding like a bit of a frog with a scratchy throat. Some liquids, oatmeal and a shower later, I'm feeling more human though, just a bit annoyed by my cold. X-man has a playdate this morning with a friend, so MacTroll is going to take him so I don't infect their family.

I bought a dayplanner yesterday for the first time in 3 years, so I could keep track of my appointments, fun social appointments and my school/test/visitation schedule.

The other thing that has been sucking up my brain are garden ideas for my yard. The regular plots are all filled (just waiting for them to grow up a bit, since they were baby plants when I put them in). But I plan on doing more fruit and vegetables this year. We planted a pear tree in the backyard last fall. He's a little guy, so it'll take a while before he fruits. I'm also going to pick up a raspberry bush like we had at the last house. Starting at 15 months, X-man would sit with me and carefully pick the berries off the bush I planted at the last house. But I'm excited that I have more room for one at this house. 

I picked up a book on how to turn your front yard into a garden. But I don't want to build it into more than I can care for so, this is gonna take some thought. And it'll probably take me 2-3 years to make it happen. 


2 comments:

~rachel~ said...

You sound like Mike, this time of year he does nothing but think about the garden. He practically throws a fit everyday when we get the mail and his new seed catalogue is still NOT here!
Raspberries sound so good, I think we are going to plant some too, my mom has white ones and they are the best I've ever had.

Laura Wells said...

Oh I wish I could plant raspberries. My yard is tiny and the trees in the neighborhood are old and giant, no sun. In the small space there is I have harbs and veggies. I can't remember the author but Square Foot Gardening was one of the most helpful books I have read for using spaces wisely. Happy planning.