Saturday, October 10, 2009

Oh, the Guilt!

Our dog tested positive for ringworm, so we've been treating him with meds and baths, but we also have to bathe our cats twice a week. Today, we had two casualties to the chaos. One problem was that we did it when X-man was home, which is different, but it couldn't be helped due to our schedules.

Maya and Nyssa are easy to crate. Luke and Clawdio are not. The shampoo requires the cats to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. So we wash one, put them in a carrier with a towel, get another wash, etc. When we're done with all four, we start rinsing and putting in the leave-in lotion. I got nipped by Clawdio. It didn't break the skin, but my thumb is bruised a bit.

The neurotic boy cats know when something is up, and they hide under our bed. So we have to take our bed apart to get them. X-man wanted to be present and refused to play in his room or downstairs. So he parked his butt next to my closet. I told him to stay there out of the way because the cats were scared.

As MacTroll and I are putting the mattress up, Luke, our 15 lber, goes crazy and starts trying to jump through the slats of our platform bed. And, of course, our 3 year old runs to try and help him get out so he doesn't hurt himself on the wood. I've got my hands full of pillowtop mattress and there's a king-sized bed between me and the situation. So I shout, "MOVE AWAY" as my child gets a face full of cat paw. The scratch isn't very deep because thankfully before we started this whole mess we clipped everyone. Plus, X-man apparently shut his eyes, which is great because holy cow that could have been even more terrible. He was fine after I cleaned the cut, put Neosporin on it and gave him two popsicles.

But I still feel like the worst parent alive.


1 comment:

The Fearless Freak said...

I know I said this on Facebook, but I feel compelled to say it again. Kids don't listen. You can tell them a million times "don't touch that, it is hot" or "stop before you fall" and it won't matter until they put their hand on the stove or fall down the stairs to find out for themselves that some of the words coming out of your mouth are important and they should pay attention.

He's fine, the cats are fine, no biggie. And just maybe he learned something out of it.