Saturday, October 17, 2009

Where to Start?

It's 8:56 p.m. I have a lot of things I need to do because I spent the day enjoying myself and my family and did no chores. Well, that's not true. I ran the laundry once and washed the dishes twice. But the living room is the pits, the kitchen is a mess and I need to wash a bunch of stuff. And my husband just pointed out that I haven't showered yet today as he tries to run his fingers through my hair and pulls it. Not his fault. I haven't showered yet...

But as a family we walked the CU on the Trails 5k today at Robeson Meadows West Park today. Xander ran for about 2 minutes out of the 52 minutes we were out walking.

I'm petsitting for a friend this weekend. So I drove over and ran in and visited her boys momentarily. They were both passed out in sunbeams on the kitchen floor and hardly opened their eyes when I refilled their water and food dishes. I pet each of them, one to a deep purr and the other to a lot of insistent chatter before taking off for the Early Bird Sale at Karen's Kloset where I bought three warm and fuzzy sweaters, a pair of jeans (size 8 Polo for $8 -- which made me feel good) and a blue down winter coat for $16.

Then I came home and ate lunch with the boys before taking X-man to Lincoln Square where he enjoyed the games and the bounce house and the candy at the Disabilities Expo. We followed it up with a visit to the Art Mart train tables, where he picked out a friend for a fellow Tiger who has a 4th birthday party next Saturday. Then we went to the video store where he picked out the newer version of the Justice League -- only to get home and realize the guy gave us the 1970's Superfriends Season 2 that we rented last week.. There were no tears, but there was a big giant fat lip of sadness and disappointment, and I needed to do some filing at my desk and get started on dinner -- so I blew 32x what it cost at Rentertainment and bought Season 1 of the Justice League.

As it turns out, when MacTroll got up from his 4 hours of freedom where he got to nap and shower, both boys were sucked into the cartoon, which I have to admit, is actually very well done.

I made a phyllo tomato, cheese, basil pizza for dinner. But my sample bite said that it wasn't really great. So I shredded that recipe. I didn't have any calories left for a cooked meal, so I had a bowl of HMR chicken soup with 2 cups of vegetables and a 10 calorie jello cup.

Then I ran over (literally) to my friend's to visit her cats again. Turns out that it's 1 mile there and 1 mile home. And I managed to set a new "fast" time on my Nike+ for the mile, which made me feel pretty okay.

Now, I'm sitting here procrastinating. That's what this whole stupid summary of my day post is about. I should shower and fall into bed asleep, but then tomorrow would be all about this kind of stuff, when really, I want it to be fun again. I guess I just wish all of my time to myself didn't include picking up and washing the same things over and over again or include me out sweating my guts out while trying to stay in shape. Because that's what this whole fitness thing has lessened. It's not that suddenly someone said, "Here let me take more off your hands so you can do this." That's not how it works when you're a mom.

Instead, you get to lessen the time you spend trying to defrag your brain under the covers of your bed or nose in a book or drinks out with the girls -- with fitness. It's a trade, and I think if I loved running more, I would be okay with it. But I still find it a chore. Unfortunately, I can completely see it's practicality. And I'm a pretty practical kind of girl.

Okay, I'll stop rambling now.

No comments: