Thursday, October 1, 2009

"You're not ever going to eat cake again? -- Never?"

Both Tinselbee and Quigs have asked me this question this week. I entered into the maintenance phase of my program, but I'm still aiming to lose. What maintenance means is that technically, I'm out of the box. I can eat anything I want. But right now -- I'm choosing not to. And I don't know what foods will eventually be reintroduced into my diet. I do know that I have particular trigger foods that launch emotional eatings or drinking.

Things like baked goods, El Toro margaritas, mashed potatoes, french fries, cake, ice cream, cheese. Oh howdy, do I love cheese. There's a part of me that says that it would be safer to not reintroduce any of those foods -- particularly in a full-fat version. But there's another part that says, how I eat those foods might just need to change.

For example, cheese in a Cooking Light or Weight Watcher recipe is reduced fat and in small quantities. No, it's not a giant grilled cheese sandwich or smothered chicken or cheese and crackers or cheese on baguette. But I'm thinking those cooking light recipes (like goat cheese and roasted corn quesadillas) are going to be in a safe box down the line.

Processed sugars, however, are another story. I just don't know if I'll ever have a good enough reason to sit down and consume pastry or cake again. Most of them being between 300 and 700 calories -- and right now, I can only consume around 1700 calories a day to maintain this body. That's around 1/3 of a day's worth of food for one piece of cake. I don't think it's worth it. But one day, I might indulge.

Part of this program is that by moving away from those foods, I'm not convinced I want them in my life anymore. They weren't good to me before... why would I go back, when clearly I can exist quite well on what I've been eating. When I can create good meals (right KTDID and MacTroll?) on things that are really quite healthy and don't include those items.

So, my realist, hottie friends are definitely right -- I should never say never.

But I tend to be an all or nothing girl, so we'll see how this goes.

6 comments:

Andrina said...

Remember that 1700 is BMR - not BMR + exercise... so on those days when you burn 400+ at the gym you're reasonably safe to add to that 1700 and still maintain... That's my theory with cakes and the sorts - I tend to do it when I've had a significant accomplishment - i.e. finish Triathlon, have a cupcake :-)
I kinda think I'd go nuts if I didn't splurge occasionally - it's not a day of splurge though - it's just a small item that tends to be in the 200-400 calorie range - it's enough to keep me happy, and small enough that I can either burn it off reasonably easily at the gym, or I just won't lose a pound for an extra day :-)

SunnyD said...

Yes. This is true. But I haven't been craving sweets in a while, and while I'm still trying to lose some body fat...

Quigs78 said...

This is yours and you own it, so you can do it however you'd like. What's worked for me so far is everything in moderation. Sure, I'm not losing as quickly as you are, but I'm happy with my results so far without denying myself anything. I have to do this for the rest of my life, so I can't say that I'm never going to eat such-and-such again. Because if that's the case, I'll only think about such-and-such for the next 50 years. And there's no need for food drama.

It was like the apple donut thing I was telling you about. I took a bite and it was meh. So I walked away from it. The old me would've eaten it anyway and not thought twice about it. Different foods that are 'worth it' to one person aren't to another.

So you do what you have to do. I just don't like words like 'always' or 'never.' They always come back to bite you. Get it? Food? Bite? :P

SunnyD said...

And this is why you guys rock. Support in making my own decisions is crucial.

The Fearless Freak said...

Quigs and her puns are killing me!

When I joined WW, a lot of my attitudes about food changed. Their motto is "nothing tastes as good a being thin feels" (which I think is BS. I've been thin and plenty of things taste that good) but I preferred
"if you don't love it, don't eat it". I spent a lot of time looking at foods saying "that piece of cake is so not worth 14 points" Occasionally, I would decide that a whole serving wasn't worth it but a bite would be ok. I found myself sharing with the kids a lot. I knew they wouldn't all of something so I would take one bite and give them the rest. That way, I didn't feel like my bite was causing waste, thus compelling me to eat the whole thing. But I could just a bite and then walk away. If you don't think you can then the "one bite rule" wouldn't work for you.

Somethings were worth the points and I ate those and accounted for them and moved on. For me, the thing that was worth was a bowl of ice cream (full fat, which regular chocolate sauce). It was 8 points for the bowl and I would often forgo other things in favor of being able to have that treat each night. For you, the things that are worth your calories are going to be different but that is something you have to work out.

You know your body, you'll do just find determining your limits and finding the things that are really really worth eating. But if you can really give up all cake forever more, then good for you, sister!

Midwest Mom said...

Reality check... I just realized that the cupcake at B.Lime wed. nite was topped with Balsamic vinegar.

Not. so. appetizing. cometothinkofit.

In essence, I'm telling you that cake isn't always all it's cracked up to be. (Or what you expect it to be!)

It was great meeting you. :D

- Julia at Midwest Moms