Friday, October 30, 2009

Running buddies

Today was the first time I ran with a buddy. And I loved it. I liked having someone to chat with during the 4-mile course, and I think I might have slowed Special K's time down a bit, but my time was about average for an average run. But the conditions that we ran in were pretty entertaining.

It was pouring down rain, but warm. We ran two wide loops around Meadowbrook, which included going through low lying areas that were basically large lakes or rushing rivers of water on the south end of the park. At one point I thought I saw a baby turtle. "What is that? Is it a crab?" K asked. I stopped and took a gander. My mind flipped back to 8th grade biology. "It's some kind of crustacean!" We named them Ernest and Denise after the donors noted at the nearest sign, and we waved at them again as we ran through the water a second time.

When we were done, I loved that we had done it. But when the wind and rain were beating on my back door this a.m., I really just wanted to hear her say, "Coffee and egg white omelets at Le Peep?"

But we did it. And I'm ever so thankful that we did.

Now for the big question, do I dare try out the Second Wind Running club?

1 comment:

Kris said...

Second Wind is great - try it out! Just don't listen to the siren calls of the nutty ultramaranthoners.