Thursday, May 13, 2010

Comic Adventures

In February I found X-man these two easy reader books that were "My first graphic novels." One was about an airplane trip and the other a train trip. He thought they were pretty cool, but each time I was at our "little library," the only graphic novels they had were for older kids. And I have to admit, I kept forgetting to look for more of them online to request them. For some reason when we're at the "big" and "medium" library, either X-man is always with me, so I have to stay close or I'm just so fascinated with the picture books my mind gets frazzled in happy land.

So, yesterday when we were at the "big" library, much to my son's dismay, (He's a big fan of the "medium" library and all of its play baskets.) X-man reminded me about the graphic novels. But instead of saying, "Hey, Mom, we need the train book thing." He said, "MOM! MOM look! It's Scooby Doo! In a MAGAZINE!"

And there in the magazine area were indeed Scooby Doo comics. I showed him how to lift the shelf tray, he chose four (because apparently three wasn't enough), sat down at a table and spent the entire 30 minutes we were there looking through them. Figuring the comic book part of our session was done (although I did find some hard cover Star Wars and Scooby Doo ones in the New Book section), I went in search of my new favorite readers -- the "Science Solves it All" series. It's a little bit like "Sid the Science Kid" on PBS, but it's a bit older and it's a first chapters book. X-man obviously can't read, but I got one a couple weeks ago about a  little girl the whole school was convinced was a vampire and a team of kids set to work trying to find out if it was true (and, of course, they just found a little girl who really liked bats). We came back with three of those -- and a handful of freaking Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I avoided the Power Rangers -- "But the green one has my name!" mess. Loosey is not a Power Rangers fan.

X-man likes uncovering mysteries. As we were going into the library there were some wet spots on the ground and then they spread out (like someone had dumped a drink out of their car as they were driving away). "Look Mom, there's a big puddle here and the water continues that way. It's a clue!"

So, yeah, he's not Sherlock Holmes -- yet. More like a mini Hardy Boy.

2 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

What is the name of the book about the girl who likes vamps? WF is into vampires and we are looking for fairly easy ones for him to read to help keep his interest up. :)

SunnyD said...

The case of Vampire Vivian by Michelle Knudson.