Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fore!

X-man has become quite the little athlete. Every struggle I have with him regarding his "learned helplessness" completely dissipates when we play sports. He's not the best or the fastest or the most coordinated. But he is the most interested. He listens. He attempts new things. He soaks up sporting terms and repeats them back (even though we still use his made up terms when we play baseball). And he seems to have learned that just by participating -- he wins, which to me is a good start to a lifelong choice of fitness.

So, he plays T-ball until May 22. We signed him up for Little Illini soccer starting in June. He ran the 1k.  He's like a fish in water at the pool. He's curious about tennis and basketball. This week he got introduced to the game of miniputting. MacTroll took him on Wednesday. They played 36 holes of miniputt and X-man still cried when it was time to go home.

After school yesterday, I took him to the Mother's Morning Out Garage Sale at Temple Baptist Church in Champaign. He jumped in the bounce house, examined the toddler toys and then I bought him some bake sale items and we left to go home.

"I don't want to go home."
"Where do you want to go?"
"Miniputting, please?"

I looked at the clock. It was 4:15 p.m. We had 45 minutes, why not? MacTroll met us at Old Orchard Links in Savoy. We played the front 18. MacTroll and I took much longer than X-man and his little kid putter. But he sat on the picnic table at the front office waiting, and then when he heard a song on the radio that he liked, he'd get up and dance.

He was ever so sad when I told him that we had to go home and have dinner. "But daddy and I played both courses last time!"

He got over it a couple minutes later.

Then as we're driving home he asks, "Mom, I think it's time we went bowling."

So I've been eyeing that Kids bowl free summer bowling pass at Old Orchard for $24.95. But I guess I better take him and find out if he really likes it first...

3 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

Just to clarify, the kids bowl free thing is totally free. The $24 is for the family pass that would let you and MacTroll bowl with him for free. I signed the kids up and printed their passes out last night. I fully intend to take them and just watch for a free afternoon :)

Lauren said...

You totally rock Dana -- you are such a great Mom and Xander is so lucky to have you! Happy Mother's Day!!!

SunnyD said...

@Freak, definite benefit of having two. They can play with each other while you watch. X-man would never go for that. :-)
@Lauren, you are so immensely sweet. I miss you! I'm trying to plan a "Ferris Bueller's Day off" trip to Chicago one day in June with Xander while Joel is away... if you get off early one day the 2nd week in June, let me know! I'm eyeing that Tuesday or Wednesday.