Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I think I'm getting sick

I don't get sick much any more. I attribute it to having an immune system that gets introduced to craziness from a) working in a pre-school, b) attending a college classroom, c) having a child in pre-school and d) having a husband who flies all the time.

Truthfully, when I'm down it's usually for one day things like migraines or pulled muscles. Things you don't get from germs. I do get random fevers from time to time. But my body usually takes a nap and pulls through within 10 hours or so.

Yesterday MacTroll called from Northern Virginia. He said he had a sore throat, cough, headache and achiness. I told him I was sorry to hear that, but he had three days to get over it so he didn't bring it home.

This morning I woke up with a sore throat and the achy muscles. But my muscles normally ache from all the changing around I've been doing in my workouts lately. I should have known this wasn't the "Oooh, that hurts so bad it's good" feeling that comes with a good workout. This was a, "Really, can I just go back to bed."

And, of course, since it is X-man and Loosey spend the day together day, I had a whole fleet of stuff for us to do, and he was up and ready to start doing them at 6 a.m. Seriously, any other day I'm trying to haul my kid out of bed at 7:45 to get him to school before 9 a.m.

We played with his LeapPad. We watched this video of Spiderman, Ironman and the Hulk that I found on YouTube. Then we went downstairs and I made him breakfast. He decided he didn't want the pancakes I was going to make him, so I made him an Eggo waffle with strawberries and a piece of bacon instead. He ate the bacon and his Flintstone's vitamin and left everything else. Sigh.

Then we played the Eric Carle 123 game that he won from the Westview Fun Fest. He loves it. I got out the gold fish so he could use them as counters while we did some basic addition and subtraction together. Afterwards we played Super Mario Brothers until it was time to go to the gym.

Usually, X-man is in school when I go to the Fitness Center. But today, he went with me and we used the free childcare. I was worried that he might freak out that he didn't know the adults in there or any of the kids, but I knew Quigs was coming with at least one of her kiddos, so I used that as bait. The truth was -- he walked in, said hello and started playing. He didn't mind at all. I told him I'd be back when my class was over. He apparently did pretty okay. He said he even used the bathroom there. :-) Class went kind of crappy for me. I've been trying to keep my heart rate in certain zones, so I wasn't able to do most of the high intensity stuff I usually do in class so I could keep my HR under 148. It was hard. Hard, hard. It was hard because I knew I usually can do more and was restricted by the HR. But it was even more hard because I knew I was dragging. My body had no energy. So I was kind of happy to do the lower intensity options and I used lower weights than normal.

By the time we got to Touch-a-Truck, I was winning Mother of the Year. I forgot my camera in the car, and I was so tired I wasn't into dealing with X-man's wandering around. He did get to drive the crane truck, sit in the racing car, drive the minivan. He was shuttling me to the airport hanging out the window waving at people to get in the shuttle. Then he pretended to crash into the truck in front of us and go out to see if the kid driving that car was okay. If he could, I bet he would have volunteered to go over and drive the ambulance to the scene of the accident. His favorite part was sitting in the SWAT truck.

At 11:45 a.m., we walked back to the car and went to Zelma's for lunch. He was starting to get a bit grumpy, so food was an imperative. Plus, he wanted to know why the firefighters ran out of hats AND the pizza man was out of chocolate for chocolate milk. (See how the day was going?)

By the time we got home from lunch, I was pooped. We took Riley to the vet for his bordatella vaccination and then came home. We sat in the hot tub for 20 minutes and then got out. Now we're in the middle of quiet time.

A belated birthday present arrived on our front doorstep for X-man though. He got some Pez and some matchbox cars that he's playing with as he watches TV.

I'm hoping to feel better before taking him to the park for dinner and playtime tonight. I only have two more days of work, so I'm hoping to NOT be sick tomorrow morning.

And hopefully, everyone will be over it so we can all have a fun and busy weekend this weekend!

No comments: