Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Getting Ready to be Employed

It's looking pretty good that next fall I'll be teaching five mornings a week at Mother's Morning Out in Champaign. I'm very excited about it. I've already started to eye things for my classroom based on the curriculum that they follow. It's hard because they have a new director starting next fall, so as she's learning the ropes (she's been a teacher at MMO the last few years) I'll be learning the ropes, too. The current director is going back into the classroom, which is also awesome. I've been a sub or a floater (teacher that moves classrooms each day) since Fall 2009 when they were at First Presbyterian.

I'm also a little nervous. I know most of the kids in the program because of my floating schedule. But at the same time I worry about not clicking with someone in the class. I also worry about not meeting all of the needs of the students in my care. I tend to be a more nurturing teacher in the classroom. I err on the side of being too communicative as I struggle with how to be a respectful, responsive teacher who has a reciprocal relationship with her students. I find it much more achievable with younger children. I have a special place in my heart for kids ages 15-30 months. I love to watch them develop and use their words and make discoveries. It's also before any of the other kid craziness sets in like cliques or fear of things that are different. So, creating a cohesive community in the classroom is paramount for me.

I hope I get to see some of you around the school next year. :-)

No comments: