Friday, April 15, 2011

My Eyes are Starting to Glaze Over

X-man is a big boy. We're moving beyond pretend play with superheroes and fire fighters. He's getting into a play area that, I swear, is sucking the play enjoyment out of my head.

I love sports. I love Legos and puzzles and trains. I'll play Trouble from here to eternity. But this Bakugan thing is going to kill me. 

I'm pretty sure it's the precursor to Pokéman. He got a set for his birthday from the Supers across the street and he LOVES them. He takes them to show and tell at least twice a month. He has three. He BEGS for more (which is why I hate taking my child into a non-grocery store that has toys). He's obsessed. We bought an Easy Reader book at a Scholastic Book Fair so I could figure out exactly what the hell they are. We got another one tonight when we were at Barnes and Noble for Books by the Bushel that explains how they brawl. 

And, yes, now my child knows words like brawl, capture, defeat, etc. Woot! on the vocabulary lesson. But now he wants to see the cartoon. And my brain nearly died in my head watching the Lego movie on Hero Factory, where I'm ashamed to say that I'm pretty sure I identified the voices of Henry Winkler (Fonzie) and Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) without IMDB. I'm guessing they used all the money that would have developed plot on the "star" voices. 

I never thought I'd say this, but Lego's Clutch Powers is soooo much better. 

1 comment:

The Fearless Freak said...

If you can do the re-direct to Pokemon, I can help you with that (at least the basics, we won't be doing any tournaments around here LOL). I don't really "get" Bakugan but Pokemon is kind of fun. I think it would probably be more fun to play with someone with some strategic thinking skills but but luck plays a big part so WF does win his fair share of games :)