Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Curiosity with a cat on my lap

Since I had some time to myself in a sitting position lately, I decided to personally review the tax returns of Mitt Romney, Barack Obama and Newt Gingrich (and their spouses). I know the point of the article was to show the discrepancy in how the uber rich pay taxes, but I was more interested in where they sent their charitable donations and how much went where.

It was interesting to me that the Obama's have a long list of places they've parsed out between $1,000 and $5,000 with the exception of some place called the Fisher House which helps provide places to live for veterans ans their families. This they gave a pile of money to (like a little over half) out of the almost quarter of a million dollars that they donated.

It was also no big surprise that out of the almost $3 million the Romneys gave away it was all in various stocks and investments not in cash. What was surprising was that they gave it all to one place -- the Tyler Foundation, which helps families who have children with epilepsy -- and then to their church.

As far as the Gingrich's return, their $81,000 in donations all appeared to go to his church.

This means nothing. I was just curious. Because to me, where you give your money to says a lot about who you are. But you know me... I'm just nosy.

No comments: