Thursday, January 12, 2012

I need to stop raising my eyebrows

Once upon a time, I had the ability to totally hide what I was thinking in my face. As I get older, my ability to withhold expression has dwindled. Luckily for me, it's usually a face of wonderment, joy and excitement (that's if the wrinkles around my eyes and mouth are any indication). However, the other prominent wrinkles are from looks of wonder and disbelief and -- "Oh my god, really? Are you effing kidding me?"

Today, I called two schools in San José to get tours. The first one I called, the woman was very nice. I explained that we were relocating to the area and we were looking to get a short tour of the building and talk to someone about how the school day worked. She at first tried to give me a date in March, even though I said we'd be available next week. When I re-explained that we were flying in from Illinois. It wasn't like we were driving down from San Francisco... she said, "Yeah, that's not gonna work. Why don't I have my vice principal call you about when she's free on those days so she can schedule something."

Nice. Flexibility.

The next school the woman was totally frazzled. "Um, yeah. I don't know this far out what we're doing that day. (It's 4 school days away.) Can you just call us when you get here? I made that face... The one that's giving me the eyebrow wrinkles.

Then I had flashbacks of all the schools I visited in Champaign. Some schools were stellar about their openness and availability and others were totally bothered by me. Those attitudes totally played in my decision making. I think they'll factor in this time, too. As for private schools, they are all totally out of the price range. And they have dorky prep school uniforms.

I e-mailed the next school's principal... Because I just didn't want to put up with the tones.

But the part that's really freaking me out. Carrie Busey raised $8,500 for their fitness walk/run this year. it's a school with just over 400 students. One of the ones in San Jose has just over 700 students. Want to know their fitness walk total? -- $120,000.

I nearly had a heart attack. This is going to be a bit like entering the twilight zone next week.

No comments: