Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Good Day

Today, I got to have a bit of fun. I dropped X-man off at school, went home and got some laundry chores out of the way and then drove to Monticello. I love Monticello. If someone told me I couldn't live within 5 miles of C-U, but had to stay in Central Illinois, I'd choose to live there. I love the old houses, the little square of town and its proximity to Allerton Park.

I drove out there because my massage therapist left her gig at a local salon a few weeks ago and reopened her practice out of her home. It was well worth the 20-minute drive. And Lorree Harty was very gracious, giving and kind, as always. I realized on the way home that besides my husband, she's the only person who has seen my body in various states since 2003. Obese, pregnant, post-partum, thin... today, she was so overwhelmed by my 82 lb weight loss that she hugged me. I'm not a giant hugger by nature. I get through it as quickly as possible with most people (but am happy that X-man inherited MacTroll's talent for good hugs). With Lorree, it was surprising, but affectionate. It was at that moment, that I realized me seeing her twice a year, wasn't just a treat for me, it was care provider relationship. If only massage therapy was covered by health insurance...

After my fabulous massage, I raced home and had lunch and then headed straight out to Art Mart. I'm having Thanksgiving at my house in a couple weeks and realized I had no serving utensils and lack in the measuring cup area. I found these cool blue serving spoons at Art Mart that I loved, so I decided to invest $20 or so in several for the big day. I also purchased a meat carving fork and a new set of measuring spoons and cups... that flip inside out. I thought they were interesting in design, but also dual purpose for a high-use kind of meal. When I got home and was cutting them out of the package, I realized they were made and distributed in Quebec. Ahhh, Quebec. How I cannot escape your style or brilliance.

When I got home, I really wanted to just sit on my butt. I had an afternoon snack and wrestled with running. It took about 5 minutes for me to convince myself to get it done and over with. I'm usually a morning workout person, but my assignment for class this week is to do it after lunch... so, I did the Serena Williams Interval Workout for 30 minutes. It's not as diabolical as the Spontaneous Speed Workout, but I think it's a mental thing. My run chart looks like I ran the whole sprint speed at the same pace as my warm up, but really when I was running it, it felt like I was running faster and harder. But maybe I was just taking longer strides or something... who knows. But after each 4-minute "hustle" I was so out of breath, I would have to walk for 2 minutes before going back to my warm up speed before she announced another speed interval.
30-minutes later, I was done. I showered and ran to get X-man and go to Quigs for a playdate.

Then tonight I made myself dinner. X-man ordered a "turkey sandwich with cheese and mustard, please" and the last of the milk in the house (with the last of the sugar-free chocolate sauce). He watched Dinosaur Train while I did some laundry and clean up, and then he didn't fight me when it was time to go to bath or to bed -- AND -- after him sleeping in my bed for the last five days because MacTroll is on travel (for 8 days this time), I somehow convinced him to fall asleep in his own bed. Sure, as soon as he's up for his middle of the night pee he'll be in my bed again, but this means I have around 3-4 hours of not having to get worried about getting kicked in the face.

And for that, I am extraordinarily appreciative. (Apparently, the cats are, too, because they're all laying around me purring and cuddling.)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

YES! Monticello! If I go into private practice it will be in Monticello. There is going to be a need for young attorneys there in the near future. It's only a 25 minute drive from LeRoy through beautiful farm country.

Amy said...

I feel your pain with the whole getting-kicked-in-the-face-by-a-child-sleeping-in-my-bed-every-night thing. I've tried every trick I know to keep her in her bed (or at least out of mine) and she always worms her way right next to me. I haven't had a night of uninterrupted sleep in a good 6 months.