Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Running for the Calories

At the beginning of October I set three goals with the Nike Plus running page.

1. Run 40 times in the next 8 weeks (5x a week) (by Dec. 8)
2. Run 5 runs by 11/27 at less than a 10:15 mile average.
3. Burn 20,000 calories in 8 weeks (by Dec. 8)

Well, I'm on track to meet the first goal. I met the second goal... but I'm lagging by 1500 calories in the third goal. I might be closer if the Nike plus measured other things besides running (like when I walk the dog or do the stairmaster at the gym or clean my house) but I knew when I signed up for the challenge that I needed to hit 400 calories per run five times a week. And I haven't done that because my short runs (2-3 miles) only burn 200-300 calories. And I know I run short runs more often because of life's time limitations.

In order to hit that goal -- I'm going to have to burn around 470 calories in running every day from now until Dec. 8. That's at least 50 minutes of interval running EVERY DAY. Think I can do it?

Wanna make a bet? I need some motivation...

Today I ran for an hour and 8 minutes and burned almost 800 calories, so I made up a little bit there. But I need some inspiration. Anybody out there want to be my cheerleader or running partner?

2 comments:

Andrina said...

Oh man - I want to sign up for that... but my back's got me out of commission for running at the moment. I keep seeing the runners go past the house and shaking my fist at them cause they can run at the moment and I can't... so frustrating!

The Fearless Freak said...

I'll cheer but running ain't gonna happen! It is depressing to know that I would have to kill myself (because running 3 miles would likely kill me) to only burn 300 calories. I probably ate that much in just dressing tonight with dinner. :(