Friday, August 15, 2008

The 2nd to last trip of the summer

This is almost it! 

After going to Montreal for 4 days, Rockford for 4 days, Rolla for 3 days, Peoria for 1 day and having Ktdid and Karen and crew visit on the days I was home... I leave today for Rockford for 2 days and then I'm home for three weeks before our vacation to Wisconsin in September.

It has been crazy insane for the last three weeks. Last night I had the CARE book club at my house. We read the Awakening by Kate Chopin, which was one of my favorite books in college. I hadn't read it since I was 22, so it brought out something completely different this time. And mostly what it did was depress me. Looking at historical fiction of the early 20th century through 21st century eyes is rough. Most of the time I stick with garbage books. You know -- ones that make you laugh out loud to the point where people stare at you on the airplane. The ones that don't use words that I don't know. The kind you can tear through without considerable thought or emotional involvement. So this was something different for me. 

I don't read a lot. Scratch that. I don't read a lot of books. I do read a lot of newspapers, and I'm intrigued by a new-to-me magazine by the editor of Brain, Child called Only Child

But today, I have to get up, get Riley to doggie camp for our trip (he's staying an extra day for fun because he LOVES going to see Carla at Doggies on the Farm in south Urbana), get X-man to school and get home before our 1 year anniversary walk through with our builder at 9 a.m. for our maintenance issues. They are few, but it has to be done. So I guess I better get my ass up.

Six hours of sleep is never enough. 

6 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Amen to that, sister. Every night when we go to bed at midnight, we say "We should really go to bed earlier."

Bubba waking up with a fever at 5:30 this morning confirmed that. There's not enough coffee in the world...

Have a super fun time with Thomas and tell him that Bubba said hi!

Misc said...

I've been pretty successful with the back-to-school bedtime schedule. Flynn was asleep by 8 last night and Evan by 9. Woo! Hoo!

I LOVE Kate Chopin. Have you ever read Charlotte Perkins Gilmour's short story, "The Yellow Wallpaper"? It's in the same vein as Chopin's but the narrator goes completely crazy. It's an interesting comment on late-19th c.'s treatment of women.

Have a great trip. We're trying to figure out what to do w/Frank's upcoming vaca time. Maybe we'll actually clean out the basement?

makeup_girl said...

What is the "Doggies on the Farm" you speak of? We are looking for a new pet sitter/kennel for Spike. The last girl we had was giving her Benadryl to keep her calm without asking us first or telling us afterward.

SunnyD said...

Quigs, at the grocery store this week I found Caribou Coffee granola bars... caffeine and chocolate in 140 calories... I can't drink coffee, but I can eat that no problem and boy does it perk me up!

Misc, we're headed to Clone Wars on August 20 at 6:30 p.m. in Puerto Rico, if you know of any Star Wars fanatics who might want to join us. Kids are welcome.

Makeup_girl -- Doggies on the farm is a little south and west of High Cross Road in Urbana. It's run by Carla Werts. While her husband farms she runs a kennel/doggie daycare business. Riley LOVES it, and always comes home and sleeps for 2 days. You can e-mail her for more info at doggiedays@juno.com. I think all dogs have to be over 6 months old, but you can check it out and see if it would be a good fit for Spike.

SunnyD said...

Misc, I have read the Yellow Wallpaper. I used it, the Awakening and Carrie Fisher's Postcards from the Edge in a paper in college... :-) I'm a big geek.

Unknown said...

We love Doggie Days on the Farm!!! It's the only place I will ever send the Killer Cockapoo.