Thursday, August 21, 2008

Itchy and Scratchy

So earlier this week I was painting the back of my fence. I live in new construction so there's nothing but weedy open field (that used to be corn fields) behind my house. The builder very graciously came and cut down the 4-7' weeds, so that I'd have an easier time reaching the fence.

I got 1/3 of it done and when I went in and showered I noticed a scratch on my left wrist. I scrubbed the white latex paint off of my legs and arms and hands as well as I could and then climbed into bed and played on Facebook. When I looked at my arm an hour later, I had blisters where the scratch was and another cluster five inches higher.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Poison ivy. 

A plant that I know I'm allergic too, but is hard to identify when it's been mowed down by my request for my own convenience. I went to bed and woke up the next morning, the rash had spread up my left arm, under my neck and down the back of my right arm. Since I'm single parenting it this week, I got X-man up, dressed and fed and dropped him off at school and sped over to the new Convenient Care Clinic on Curtis and Mattis. 

There a very nice nurse gave me a shot in the ass with steriods to stop the spreading. It's worked, for the most part, but I'm still covered in calamine lotion to try and stop the itching of the blisters I do have. And if you've ever had poison ivy, you know how things like warm water in your showers brings out the itch, as well as washing with a washcloth... so I've been miserable running around town with big pink splotches on my body.

So, if I ever piss you off -- you now know my kryptonite.

5 comments:

Quigs78 said...

I'm glad it was poison ivy. It would've been weird to read a blog post about other diseases you've contracted that make you itchy.

You know. THOSE diseases.

;)

Hope the itch feels better soon! Have fun tonight and tell me if anyone talks shit about me! :)

Anonymous said...

Make sure they give you the follow up steriod pills after the shot. I did not know that the one time I had the shot and ended up with a chemical burn on my chest that was worse than the poison ivy.

-B. said...

Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. Bob got a bad case of it from our backyard a few years ago. We had a massive vine of it growing on a fence post. It was so big that we had no idea it was poison ivy - who knew it could grow that big? Let the blisters breathe. Bob would cover his up and they took way longer to heal.

Cole Hanson said...

I heard pink may be the new black ?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, plants are hard to ID without the leaves most of the time :) Good to hear you've stopped the spreading. Nothing worse than getting blisters everywhere you touch. Remember, diversion can help . . . . keep yourself busy with guilty pleasures (looks like Ben's a good bet).