Thursday, August 7, 2008

Running on Empty

It is 2-something-o'clock in the a.m. right now. I've just spent four hours staring at the Internet avoiding using my brain. Sure, there were some word games on Facebook in there. Sure, I read the newspaper... but I mean, it was avoidance. I didn't want to read about political polls or shootings in town. 

But mostly what I didn't want to do was read other people's blogs and find out how fascinating and wonderful their lives are, when mine currently seems very -- stand still-ish.

My friends in town use our blogs to catch up. It's kind of funny for a group of women who see each other more often than any of us usually see our spouses. 

Libbygirl had her baby on July 31. Lightning McColin's little brother is a spitting image of him. He eats and sleeps well. It was sweet to meet him and hold him this week. 

But it also made me think a lot about the last 2.5 years. Half of me wanted to get a little ribbon for just surviving. The other half mourned a bit because I became very conscious that I was crossing a line I never wanted to cross when I became a mother.

That is to say, I never wanted to become a bitter mom. The one with much older children that stands next to you forewarning you of all the ways your sweet infant baby will one day hate you. The one that tells you how outside of work and motherhood she doesn't have a life. That by the time she gets it back, she'll be old and gray and her unappreciative children will never call her. 

When I had a newborn, I found a lot of solace in other newborn moms. We had the same wide-eyed deer caught in headlight looks. We hadn't slept. We hadn't showered. We hadn't eaten. Our babies couldn't turn over. They had no teeth. And you could spend hours, days, weeks just staring at your kid. 

Then as my baby began to really move and interact with is world, I was fascinated by his exploration. Pushing buttons on the dishwasher was a huge achievement. He used a fork. He opened a door. He built with Mega Blocks. He pulled a string toy across the floor. 

Then he got to 18 months and the molars starting coming in. We're just now finishing with the last of his teeth, and as they came in and the speech started really flowing -- my child explored and punished others (mostly me) through biting. 

Now I realize my son will be 2.5 in September. He's no longer a baby. Besides the diapers, any infant aspect of him has disappeared. He's his own little man. He hugs and jumps and skips. He doesn't want to share his toys. His mood swings challenge me in every way. But for the first time, I find myself being angry with my child when we have bad days, when his behavior is out of hand. 

I never had that anger before. Until he was 2, he could do anything and I had this endless patience with him. That was before he decided I was the mortal enemy when I did things like force him to stay out of the street or put away a toy he threw or not allow him to have ice cream for breakfast. And I know I'm being a good mom by doing all those things. I know I'm being a better mom for sticking to my guns. 

But it feels like there's this huge separation there now. Like I've staked my claim and he's staked his, and we'll never get back to where we were. 

I see that kind of separation in a lot of families. There's this giant gap that exists. And it's not that they don't care, but it's just that there's so much shit in the gap that it's hard to ever really find a common ground that's strong enough to start all over again. It's a weird crazy tangle.

All I know, is that I don't want it to happen to X-man and I. I wonder if we've been provided enough of a map of what to do -- by learning what not to do or by learning what's not normal -- at any stage or age of a child's life. 

For example: You don't tell people that when you found out that you were pregnant you wanted to walk in front of a bus, because your kid will somehow be told that some day and boy, isn't that a great therapy conversation? 

You don't have your 12-year-old sit down next to you and tell the child if they weren't around you'd kill yourself, again, more therapy fodder.  

You don't just show up for honor society and plays and other public events where people "see" you "parenting" and yet in reality you're completely disconnected from your kids' lives to the point where they feel they look after themselves. 

You don't insult your kids' career choices. 

You don't say bad things about the people they date or marry. 

You don't criticize their parenting. 

You don't tell them bad crap about the other parent. 

You don't talk about sex as being dirty. 

You don't shame them. 

You don't guilt them. 

You don't neglect them. 

You don't make up some kind of alternate reality where you tell them things in their lives didn't happen because you're happier denying any proof that your kid endured any pain on your watch. 

You don't criticize your kids' weight. 

You don't get to get angry with your kids for thinking for themselves, even if they choose to think differently from you. 

You don't force feed religion to someone who is reluctant.

These kinds of lessons go on and on...

I know we're going to continue to make mistakes, lots and lots and lots of them. The big thing I've learned from becoming a parent is that you do your best. It's all you can do. It's all any parent can do, even parents that do the things mentioned above.

But then again, there's Yoda telling me how it is when my best isn't good enough no matter how hard I work, no matter how many bruises I have, or how much my son, after he hits me, hugs and kisses me to try to make things better. 

I get frustrated with his natural, 2-year-old ways. I get angry with him when he hurts others. 

It still has me up at now 3-something-o'clock at night. 

Fear.

I'm going to go sleep with my child and hug his Bob the Builder. And tomorrow, while the gap is still small enough... I'm going to start shoveling some of that crap out of there. And I'm going to start building the world's biggest, strongest cantilever. Not so much to smother, but enough to keep my eye on things and hope that I can do a better job.

6 comments:

Misc said...

You are an awesome mom. It's completely natural to be angry with your son at times. I've told my 2 over and over that while I may be angry with what they've done, I always, always love them. And I have to remind myself that my 7 & 5 year olds don't have the benefit of age that I do.

We parent with the set of tools we were given by our own parents. The difference between good and poor parenting, I think, is when you realize what tools work and what don't. If you need something different - you find it and use it. You are doing that. And that's what makes you such a great mom.

Yes, we make mistakes. We are human, after all. But they aren't really mistakes if you learn something from them. And those lessons aren't always easy.

Go ahead and mourn the loss of the baby X-Man was, but embrace the toddler he's become. It only gets better. Really.

Mommy, Queen Of Everything said...

When my son was two and even three, I swear he did things just to see how far he could push me before I lost it. I think he was testing his boundaries. I felt like I was the only mother this ever happened to and that I was a huge failure because I had an unruly child.

Then I sent him to nursery school and I met other moms. I watched how they dealt with situatons and I also watched the teacher. It helped me so much and gave me ideas that I never would have thought of.

It really gets better, like one day my son "got it". He's 4 now and I am having a blast with him. I'm dreading sixteen!

Unknown said...

I sent you an e-mail.

Anonymous said...

I hope that some sleep and a beautiful day have helped you feel better - and a bit kinder to yourself.

Amy said...

I am going through the EXACT same thing you're going through right now. And I have a 4 year old that has already been through this. My mom and my mother-in-law remind me that JB was just like WW but somehow I don't remember. I just know that as of right now WW is the hardest child in the whole entire world.

She's mean to her friend Mealyworm all the time!
She pushes the limits all the time!
She talks back all the time!

I feel like the biggest failure too. I try to take it day by day but it gets hard day in and day out of the same old crap.

The only thing I can say is JB went through this 2 years ago and he still loves me even though I know I was short with him when he was pulling the same crap. I know X-man will still love you even though it sometimes seems (to you) like you always have to be the bad guy. And it does get better. I promise =)

libbygirl said...

I can really relate to a lot of things that you are saying. Hanging out with other moms to see how they handle things or don't is really helpful. I know that we have talked about this but in a weird way, when I see a mom or kid get upset, I first think, "Wow, at least I am not the only one."