Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Pop Protest: Rebel against the mommy funk

So I think Rob from High Fidelity said it best when he asked: 

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to Pop Music?"

I'm going to blame pop music for my funk today. Ms. Apple, Mr. Gibbard and others (You know who you are), I'm issuing a boycott of slow/sad music for the weekend. You'll have to deal without me looking to your emotionally crippling lyrics and achingly beautiful notes for life's meaning. 


5 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

I absolutely feel you on this! I don't know what the deal is recently but the radio has SUCKED recently. Between the angst and the "life affirming" songs, I'm ready to hurl!

Misc said...

Death Cab is coming to the Assembly Hall in October and I so desperately want to go.

I try not to listen to the radio much, other than NPR, mainly because most music these days sucks (god, I sound old). And the DJs on PGU are students and don't know when to shut the hell up and just play the damn song.

Listen to some Junior Senior, they'll perk you right up. Or Abba.

SunnyD said...

I'm going to be late to my own meet up tomorrow (thanks to Quigs for filling in for me!) so I can order Death Cab tickets. Joel said we'd have a date night. I already booked the sitter...

Quigs78 said...

I have to admit - I've been in a Top 40 mood lately. I watch the Top 20 video countdown on VH1 at the gym.

And the worst part? I like a lot of the songs. I think it's just my brain denying its age.

iamarogers said...

"Ms. Apple, Mr. Gibbard and others" sounds like we are about to play CLUE. How exciting! Much less depressing than that music you're talking about.

I have been listening to Mamma Mia. I know it's a musical, but if you see Dancing Queen in the movie, it's totally female affirming and I just try to think about that scene when I feel like shit. Sometimes even when I take a shit because I have been doing that a lot lately. HAHAHAHAH (she says in a stupid laugh).