Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Quality control needed

We had a big day today full of more and more family. This time it was MacTroll's side. X-man didn't get a nap. He'd never sleep in a strange place, so trying to find somewhere for him to go down at my in-laws was out of the question. Instead, he fell asleep on the way from their house to the swimming outing. 

We went to a swim club called Wedgewood in Peoria. It's an older pool similar to Crystal Lake in Urbana but not as well kept. And it wasn't entirely welcoming to kids X-man's size. 

There were signs in the bathroom requiring tight plastic pants for the untrained potty users. We didn't have any, so I just kind of skidded by with a swim diaper under his trunks and hoped no one would notice. Then there was a second sign that banished all non-potty trained people to the baby pool. I know why they do this. I do. It's because if there's a poopy incident they just close the baby pool and not the big pool, but it still bummed me out. Not that X-man cared. He had a grand time being kind of snotty about sharing toys with the other toddlers. And his cousins were really awesome about hanging out with him. I think it might have had a lot to do with the main pool being so cold. :-)

Anyway, we had to drop MacTroll off at the airport and then I drove X-man back home. He ended up falling asleep immediately departing the airport and he slept the whole hour and a half home. The problem with this is that now he's having a lot of trouble going to bed.

He was being so rough and wouldn't stop. So I started to flip out. I told him that I had had enough of him and that he needed to stay in his room because Mama was going to bed and would not lie with him. He cried and cried and chased me into my room trying to get me to lie with him. I carried him back to bed, got kicked for it, and said goodnight. 

But this -- this shit's gotta stop, and at this point me walking away, seems to be the only thing he understands as a real consequence to his behavior. 

Update: He's completely asleep in his big boy bed, but I feel uber shitty.

4 comments:

iamarogers said...

I'm here. Call me!

Lindsay said...

We are completely going through the same thing right now and I have the EXACT same attitude . . . this shit has got to stop!

O freaks out every night at bedtime despite being tucked in with multiple stories, a heard of stuffed animals, kisses galore, and even the always-requested water cup (if that won't fuck the potty training, I don't know what will).

I have to practically run out the door with him chasing after me, and when it's closed (he can't open it from his side) he flings him self at the door I "I Am Legend" style like some possessed dying animal.

Of course guilt tends to overwhelm me minutes after committing to letting him sort it out on his own, and back into his room I head.

At least you/I know you're not alone. I was beginning to think I just totally sucked as a parent, that or something was psychologically wrong with my kid.

Amy said...

Yes, I too am going through the exact same thing. I too have to contain my child in her room with a gate like she's some sort of deranged animal. I too feel some MAJOR mommy guilt. But here's my rational for everything.

If WW does get enough sleep she's a total pain the next day. If mommy doesn't get enough sleep EVERYONE suffers. Therefore, sleep is VERY important! Plus I can tell when she's just really tired and she's pushing the limits because what else is a tired 2 year old to do but torture those around him/her =)

Quigs78 said...

This is so not bad parenting. But I can't talk because my son is still in a crib, and until he decides to try and climb out, that's where he's staying. I don't care if he takes that thing to college with him.

That said, even in a crib, Bubba was left crying for ten minutes last night. He knows the bedtime routine, he knows it's time to go to sleep. Did it suck to listen to him cry? Sure. Do I think I'm a bad parent for it? Hell no. I'm of the notion that I'd rather he CIO now and put himself to sleep than having me rock him to sleep until he's ten.

I think you're an awesome mom. In all honesty, there are times when I say "WWDD?" when Bub starts freaking out at me because you always seem to know the right things to do or say.

You're a natural. It WILL be okay.